GrowingGardening

Can I Plant A Veggie Garden In A Metal Washing Tub?

I would really like to have a small veggie garden but my yard is laid out in a way that there is really no place to put it. Is it possible to do one in a large metal washing tub? I appreciate any ideas!

Carol from Landisville, PA

By Jon (Guest Post)

No problem. Just need to put some gravel in the bottom for drainage and drill one hole in the middle so that water goes out. Put the container up on some blocks and most bugs won't get to it. You can put a bowl under that hole to put the excess water with nutrients back into the soil when it drains.

I have space issues in my yard as well. I found some really great tomato seeds, "patio" variety and "tiny tim" ( I believe from Burpee) and they are actually growing and producing tomatoes in window boxes. I have 3 plants per window box. I also grow the "space saver" cucumbers in 1 gallon sized pots. Container veggies can be a lot of fun.

Thanks gals - great ideas! Carol

www.squarefootgardening.com/

This site is amazing. check it out.

You are right, it is great! Thank you! And I should have said thanks GUYS and gals! (sorry Jon:)

By silent d (Guest Post)

Theoretically, yes. just add dirt and plants. My gran used an old toilet tank to plant fuchsias. It worked great! The fuchsias attract hummingbirds like crazy.

We just disconnected everything and took out the insides, flipped the lid of the tank upside down and used it as a stand and leveler for the tank.