LaundryCleaning

Perspiration Odor On Work Shirts

I am curioius how to get the perspiration smell out of my husband's cotton T-shirts. He works outside and they are soaked from perspiration and I can't get smell out. I tried baking soda, but it didn't helpl. Any ideas or advice?

Kim from SC

By mel (Guest Post)

I would like to know too - I can smell the odour (their perspiration smell mixed with their various deodorants) rising up to me sometimes when ironing my kids school shirts even though they've been washed.

By suzanne (Guest Post)

try this, it works. 4 tablespoons of electrasol powder, the dishwashing detergent, mixed in a gallon of water. let the shirts soak, it will remove odor and those ugly yellow sweat stains.

After washing, hang the shirts out in the sun. It works best on wet shirts, but may work okay on dry shirts. Find a dry and a bit windy day, and leave them out all day turned inside out, with armpits getting sunlight.

The shirts will be crisp and smell nice. My shirts gets smelly too and outdoors works!

Add 1 cup of vinegar to your wash cycle, along with your regular detergent. ( Do not mix with bleach)
This will remove almost any oders, it doesn't leave a vinegar smell once dried.

By Peter (Guest Post)

I use white cotton t-shirts for intensive exercise/recreation activities (2+ hours of exercise in a warm room). I don't have clotheslines or much sunshine(I live in NYC) so I've found that soaking shirts in oxyclean before washing it has removed the smell from all of my nastiest shirts, as well as getting most/all of the yellow out of the armpits. It doesn't make things perfect, but it has made my smell-free which is kind of a miracle.

-Peter

By snigdibbly (Guest Post)

RUB A LITTLE HAIR CONDITIONER (THE STUFF YOU PUT IN YOUR HAIR AFTER SHAMPOOING TO GET THE TANGLES OUT) IN THE ARM PITS AND AROUND THE COLLAR AND RUB IN GOOD. THEN WASH AS USUAL.

By (Guest Post)

I think the vinegar will work best, and it kills dustmites too. They don't like the taste of cotton and vinegar. Try Fabreeze, also. There are some heavy-duty versions of it out there.

By Patty (Guest Post)

My son has perspiration wetness very bad. He gets really embarrassed when he is out in public. What can we do to help him?

By Melanie Walker (Guest Post)

Use 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Detergent which is sold in most markets and follow directions on the box. Use hot/warm water; the warmer the better.

Not only will it rid your clothes of odor but your clothes will look really nice. Some of you probably remember your Grandmothers using this. Its still fantastic!