Storing Fresh Ginger

What is the best way to store fresh ginger?

By jwicklas

Freeze the sucker! You can easily grate the root even frozen and get even a finer consistency than you would grating it fresh. Just wash off the dirt and leave on the peeling. The peeling will grate just fine. And you definitely won't be losing any nutrients that way.

If you insist on cutting it into fine pieces, just defrost in the microwave for ten seconds. It will be soft enough to cut with a sharp knife. Then simply refreeze.

I peel the ginger and store it in a jar filled with cooking wine in the refrigerator. That way the cooking wine has ginger flavor when I use it and the ginger stays fresh for a long time.

I am sure that the freezing would be fine, but for the normal smaller amount that I try to always have on hand, I use a safe plastic storage container, put enough cold water in it to cover the piece of ginger, sprinkle a few good shakes of salt into the water and stir to dissolve. Place the ginger in the container, close lid tightly. After a week or ten days, check on the ginger, and replace the water & salt to keep fresh longer.

I cut it into chunks and freeze it. I use mine in smoothies so chunks are fine.

The best way to store fresh ginger is to freeze it, unpeeled. It will last almost forever. Then just wash and grate the amount you need and stick back into freezer.