Pillowcase: A Very Easy to Sew Gift Idea

Here's a good gift idea for almost anyone on your Christmas list: a pillowcase. For one standard size pillow case, purchase one yard of cotton fabric. I buy remnants usually for just a dollar or two a yard.

1. Fold fabric lengthwise, right sides together. Stitch across one end and along one long side.

2. Zig-zag around the top of the case.

3. Fold hem and iron under 1/2 inch.

4. Fold hem and iron under 4 inches and sew in place using a straight stitch. After that, you can add any decorative touches you want--ribbons, embroidery, etc.

By Mary Ellen

By Lucille Gifford (Guest Post)

Before discarding an old sheet, you may find there is enough material in good condition along the bottom edge or sides to make a pillow case or two.

My mother has made quite a few special "character" pillow cases for my kids. Blues Clues, SpongeBob, Scooby, Etc. My oldest child suggested making holiday themed pillow cases. You could also use flannel (prewash), satin, any fabric that suits you.

Sometimes these pillow cases cost almost as much for the character fabric as to purchase a ready made pillow case, but those lack the love. My kids are happy to use a pillow case sewn especially for them by Grammy.

If you want to make several pillow cases of the same print or character, consider purchasing a twin bed sheet set on sale. It might be cheaper than buying the fabric by the yard.

Anonymous

These are all excellent ideas, thank you. I plan on giving a set of 4 pillow cases to my inlaws. Pillowcases often wear out quickly and sheet sets usually only provide 2. I sleep with 2 pillows myself.

http://www.teapotcottage.com

By denise wulfe (Guest Post)

Has anyone ever googled "making pillowcases"? Everyone claims they are so easy! One site claims they are the easiest project, BUT you need a serger machine, okay that pillowcase should cost me about $400.00-$700.00. Other sites have at least 15 steps, other only give you queen size. Thank this site for it's easy to understand 4 step method, it saved tons of money on the purchased of that serger, DUR

By JoAnn (Guest Post)

Would be extremely helpful if you could provide finished measurements not only for standard size but also queen and king size pillowcases.

By Laura (Guest Post)

You don't have to use a serger my PFD teacher is making us beginners use scissors to trim the sides, because if you are not careful you can cut an unwanted slit in your fabric!

mom is getting satin pillowcases for christmas. she buys colored ones so she will see them when she leaves a hotel but still forgets them. i'm going to make her a set along with some sort of reminder she can put in her train case so she will remember to get them.

her birthday is in march. hopefully she won't need replacements too soon <g>.

By Connie C. (Guest Post)

You don't need a serger to make pillowcases, but a serger does do a great job at finishing the raw edges and preventing lots of loose threads from ruining your washing machine. If you don't have a serger and aren't going to get one, using a zig-zag stitch on the raw edges will control those potentially loose threads, too.

This sounds like a great gift idea! Thanks for the tip. Was checking out http://satinpil … es.wordpress.com and was led to this place. Neat tip. By the way, more images to illustrate the step-by-step guide would really help.

Thank you for giving clear instructions on making pillowcases. I find that the bought ones are too small and with your help I am going to have a go at making my own.