Career as a Longshoreman vs Merchant Marine?

0
Share
2
Save
Follow
Print

My son is interested in becoming a longshoreman. He was considering becoming a Merchant Mariner, but he wants to try the longshoreman direction. Anyone have any advice as to which is the best avenue?

Linda

Linda, I'm assuming you are in the United States. I worked in the shipping industry for 30 years and I think there would be more opportunities for work as a longshoreman. With automation, smaller crews are needed to man a vessel and there aren't many lines left that still have U.S. crews.

My son went to United States Merchant Marine Academy and he graduated after 5 yrs as marine engineer. It is a federal funded academy located in Long Island NY.

Great school and adventures if your son can handle military lifestyle. Also, it has strict requirements to get into the school. The school website is USMMA.EDU

Budget & Finance EmploymentApril 20, 2010
🌻
🎆
😎
Generated 2021-06-23 10:20:22 in 789 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf67322170.tip.html