Product FinderConsumer Advice

Reviews of GPS Units That Would Have International Capability

We're planning a trip to the United Kingdom next summer and with Black Friday sales coming up the day after Thanksgiving, I thought I'd be on the lookout for a great price on a GPS unit, something of which I know absolutely nothing about.

I'm looking for recommendations on which brand(s) and models are the best for a reasonable price and have built-in maps of countries like the U.K. (or do you have to pay extra to download those?) What features do I look for and which brands/models to avoid? If rental cars in the U.K. come with GPS units as a option, how much does that add to the rental price and would that be a better option than buying one? Thanks for your help.

By Kerry Cowley

I own a Garmin, so I can only tell you what mine is capable of. There is a feature that hooks it up to the satellites in space, and the GPS will "download" all the maps you need automatically. Go online and do research. Find out what other GPS units do and make your choice.

Garmin has a spot for a card to download other countries maps. Whatever you do, do not use your cell phone as a GPS. A friend did and came home to a $700.00 bill (roaming fees).