Reusing Sample Paint Swatches

Category Reusing
After you have chosen the colors for your painting job, don't throw away the sample paint swatches. This is a guide about reusing sample paint swatches.

Get free paint card samples from the hardware store or Wal-Mart to use for card making or scrapbook embellishments and crafts. The discarded sample cards for kitchen cupboards make good stiff bookmark materials that can be covered with your choice of medium. I cover mine with cross stitched pieces that fit. They last a long time and make a nice last minute gift.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Ever share a recipe that requires cooking to a particular color (eg., a Roux)? Instead of trying to share your recipe with the instruction to cook to "coffee color", "banana color", or "dead oak leaf color" do this: The next time you are near a paint department, get one of the paint samples that is as close to the color you mean and attach it to the recipe. Now your friend knows what color is desired.

By cajun62234 from Collinsville

Paint Swatches make great bookmarks. When I'm at the hardware store I pickup a stack of paint swatches, so I know I will never be without my bookmark again!

By Kerry from Flat Rock, MI

I don't know about you, but when I am in a store and I see something I like for a particular room and am thinking of purchasing, I am never sure about the exact shade of the particular color of pink, for example, in my living room, or blue (is it a grey blue or a green blue? I don't remember!).

Here's what you do, grab some paint swatches from your local hardware store and cut out the colors that are your color scheme (for each room if you want). Make sure that you label shade on the back what room its for. Then keep these in your wallet or punch a hole in each and put them on a key ring and - presto! No more taking back that sage green that should have been a celery. :)

And when its time to do some touching up, you already have your paint samples. :)

Source: my crazy brain

By Carol from Landisville, PA

I am looking for ideas to use the paint chip cards from Home Depot and Menard's. I have seen them folded and used for other things but lost the information.

Lost from Elmwood Park, IL

Answers:

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

I have used them to teach "colors" to my child. They come in very handy when you have to keep them occupied at the home center store, make it your first stop. (09/04/2008)

By Chris

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

The first thing that came to my mind is make an abstract piece of art from them. The size of the piece of art would depend on how many chips you have.

Cut out each and every color piece so that it's only the colors and not the borders from the swatches (or maybe even keep the white borders if you like). Arrange, including overlapping, and keep rearranging until they look visually pleasing to you and then glue each piece to card board or canvas, brush shellac over all and frame :-)

Actually, this makes me want to go down the street to my local paint store and ask if they have any 'extras' to make a new piece of art for fun! (09/04/2008)

By Deeli

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

Yes, they are a cost to the paint manufacturer so you wouldn't want to just go grab handfuls but eventually the colors do change and they will have to trash their old stock of chips. I would imagine the chips for countertops and tile would be great for doing those mosaics that were mentioned. (09/04/2008)

By JudyBoody

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

I love to use them for book marks. I know someone at my local hardware store and get them when they are going to be thrown away. I keep a few for myself, but donate most of them to local senior centers or put them in the teacher's lounge at the elementary school. One really cute picture I saw used a green one cut into a tiny Christmas tree. They used the lightest color at the top and the darkest color at the bottom, so that it graduated different colors of green down to the bottom. I've also seen a rainbow made of them layered by color. (09/04/2008)

By DiJones

Any ideas for using the paint chip samples you get at the paint store. Every time I paint a room a end up with lots of the samples.

miniduck

Answers:

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

You could use them for a pretty border around your wallet sized photos - just glue or use double sided sticky tape the picture to the sample. It would also give the pictures more support at the same time. (09/10/2005)

By Tripleb

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

My daughter uses them in her scrap booking. (09/10/2005)

By eve

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

Make a mosaic with lots of them around a plain dollar store frame.

I have a TV tray that has a "faux mosaic" to that I made out of the samples (a local paint store was discontnuing a line so I got scads of them).

Take a small index card and staple the colors you decided on to use and keep it in your purse for when you are out shopping. (09/10/2005)

By cj

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

I glue them back to back and cut the border with decorative scissors, then punch a hole in the corner and write on them with colored markers for gift tags for presents. (09/10/2005)

By Kendy

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

I've used decorative punches (flowers, heats, stars) with them to decorate paper craft projects. (09/11/2005)

By pinellas

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

This may be a "No brainer", but what are paint chips? Are you talking about all those cards with different colored paint on them? I'm confused. I have read on other scrap booking websites that they use paint chips, but I never could figure out what it meant. Thanks. (09/12/2005)

By jenjoejace

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

Huh?What is Sandy talking about?

Big box stores that sell paint have those big racks of paint sample cards (a.k.a. chips) for customers to take home, so they can decide which color they want. That's what they're for!(09/29/2005)

By pinellas

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

Tape one onto the top of the paint can in the colour you actually use. That way, you can see at a glance the colour you need for any touch-ups at a later date. Return the rest, they all cost money you know! (10/12/2005)

By Cathy

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

You can always return them to the store for reuse as they are only 'free' to the customer. Ask your store they may want to re use them if they are in good condition (10/19/2007)

By Dee

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

They would be great to cut into various geometric shapes for kid's craft projects. Kids always find a way to use things others might consider trash. I love the other ideas too! (05/09/2008)

By Kim

Uses for Paint Chip Samples

Toss the chip into your office paper shredder, then put the strip in a birds nest; they'll be very grateful for the extra nesting material. :D (08/22/2008)

By WITTYgurl