LaundryCleaning

Hard Lumps Inside Clothing

Some time ago, I noticed some lumping appearing inside my bras (like between the material). It obviously wasn't there when I bought them, but they just started appearing. I couldn't get them out by squeezing them through, so I snipped a little hole and pushed some out. It was like little hard pebbles!

I don't use powder detergent, so it can't be an accumulation of undissolved detergent. Now they're appearing inside my blouses. I won't snip any holes in my blouses, but the only way to remove them appears to be by undoing the seams. Does anyone have any idea what this is? It's not just one little one, there's many of them!

By allisonk from Honolulu, HI

With the bras, my first guess would be pilling of whatever "stuffing" is in them to make them smooth. But the blouses? I can't begin to guess! Are they blouses with layers, or are the lumps in the seams, etc? They could also be pills of threads. You might try using the gentle cycle, or even hand-washing, so the fibers don't get agitated and ball up.

It is lint! It gets trapped inside seams of your clothes.

It is lint. Be careful what you wash with your clothes.

Be sure the lint trap is draining well in your washing machine.

Sometimes the foam padding on bras turns hard when the bras are washed and dried in a dryer over and over. It does turn into little hard balls that are really uncomfortable. This also happens to shoulder pads. Best not to use the dryer for bras.