What Frozen Turkey Do You Like?

Category Turkey Tips
Finding the best tasting bird and cooking it right, will help to make your big dinner a success. This page explores what frozen turkey brands that people like.

I usually buy a frozen turkey for the holidays, both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I usually buy an off brand. Sometimes they are good, and sometimes not so good. What brand of frozen turkeys do you recommend? I think Butterball are overrated.

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Answers

By LiLyDo (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I also think Butterball is overrated... I usually buy whatever is the cheapest... I think the flavor is in how it's prepared. I rub the washed and paper towel-dried bird with olive oil inside and out, rub in seasonings inside and out... then I like to put onion, celery, carrot, etc... in the cavity along with a stick of butter. Then roast according to size of bird. I like to cook mine longer on a lower temp basting every hour or so. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I agree that a turkey is a turkey. Its all in how you cook it. My husband has been "butterflying" our turkeys (and we use the store brand ones!) Everyone comments on how ours is the best they've had (even his PICKY mother says its great and she is the "name brand only" queen)

By Kathy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have never gone wrong with a Honeysuckle!

Best Answer

We have been liking the Jennie-O turkey breast and try to get one when they are on special. I see no reason to buy the entire bird when none of us likes the dark meat. Also we are a family of 4 so the turkey breast is plenty for us. I started fixing a turkey breast in the crock pot and it really comes out tender and juicy and is so easy too!

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)
Best Answer

i too have been cooking turkey for years and i have only bought one butterball turkey and thought it was grossly overrated!

most years when the kids were home i got the cheapest bird in the market. a stick of butter and seasoning makes the cheapest bird taste great. i use real butter and an onion and fresh sage chopped together and put little slits in the skin and stuff the onion/sage/butter in the slits and put the rest in the cavity and since those baking bags came out i have used them as they keep the bird moist. good luck

By Susabelle (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I started using a fresh turkey instead of frozen, I get it at my butcher's. I will NEVER cook a frozen turkey again, EVER. Fresh is so much better!

By Susie Buckhead, Ga (Guest Post)
Best Answer

We, in the past, have always bought frozen turkeys for the holidays, until about 3 years ago. We bought a store brand frozen turkey for thanksgiving and thanksgiving day when we prepared it to put in the oven my Mother-inlaw discovered it was bad,so we bagged it up and took it back to the store. we requested a Butterball, it was a very good bird.

Since then we always buy a fresh turkey at Publix. They are always great.We buy them the day before the holiday. I love all the meats from Publix. Keep an eye out on your local supermarket meat department. Some stores have better meat departments than others. Get to know your butcher, My Dad was a butcher. He has people who would travel a long distance just to buy their meats from him. They trusted him and his oppinion on their meat selections. He had many well known public people who relied on him to provide this service. He loved his job and it showed.

By Lis Flodin (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I like Purdue turkey, but can't find them anywhere or a sale price. Jewel Foods used to advertise it, but I don't see it in their sales paper.