Use Fabric from Old Clothing for Keepsakes

When sorting old clothes that you are considering handing down, donating, or discarding, rethink those ideas! Henceforth, see every single item of clothing that you no longer want as a "precious piece of fabric or cloth". You can simply open the seams of the garment, remove the buttons, zippers, snaps, etc. flatten it, clean it and reuse the "new piece of fabric" to make another item of use, such as: a pillow cover, a table covering, a wall hanging, a purse, a small chair throw, etc.

A velveteen dress that belonged to my grandmother was converted to a beautiful stuffed throw pillow by me, and gets many, many compliments from my visitors. In these tough economic times, let's get creative, for "necessity is the mother of invention."

By Joyce from Bloomfield, CT

You can also make some really nice crafts items with the buttons, snaps and zippers ;-)

Grandpa's flannel shirt makes a teddybear for the newest grandchild. My grandmother left me her fur coat when she died. It was not in very good shape so I wasn't going to wear it.

I found a local craftperson to make it into 3 teddybears for me. I gave one to each of my children. It will always remind them of great-grandma and when I visit their homes I see the bears on display.

Great, thrifty thinking! I began this same thought process about a year ago, when our income was slashed hugely. I do wish that I had realized it before then!

I would like to direct you to a favorite site that features clothes made from gently worn clothing. It is: www.ETSY.com. There are many patterns and the person who has this site is just so crafty and smart. Check it out. Very original.

I'm in my 60's now, and I feel so blessed to have lovely "scrap" quilts made by myself, my mother, and my grandmother, totally from scraps of old clothing. I can remember & point out my favorite shorts set when I was 8 yrs old; my mother's blouse or grandmother's apron, my daughter's sundress, etc.

Quilts, pillow covers, lap throws, table runners, are just a few things I have made from scraps. I've even made newsboy caps, and fancy scrunchies. Just save them up and make yourself a treasured memory!

I am looking for ideas for making keepsakes for myself and 5 sisters from this fur jacket of my mom's.

Answers

Best Answer

I have a friend that makes keepsake tech bears out of things like this. It's proly not quite big enough for as many as you will need, but there are many ways to incorporate a garment like this into a keepsake for each person.

Some have been mentioned already.. But you can proly find more ideas on pinterest or etsy.

Best Answer

You could use some of the fur to make cuffs for some nice winter gloves there should be enough fur for everyone

Best Answer

Years ago I made ski parkas for me and my husband out of black seal fur coats. My tailor told me to take the coats apart and strengthen the old fur by using a light coating of rubber cement covered with a sheer silk or cotton as a liner on the skin side. Cut to a pre-fitted pattern and hand stich pieces together with a whip stitch (over and over () ). He suggested cutting the fur to shapes on the slight diagonal. Then when you whip the pieces together, you won't get clumping of the fur on the seams. Make a few practice short seams, maybe 3 inches to practice getting a smooth edge on the seam using scraps. It is a delicate material to work with. The results can be spectacular. Remember: Measure twice; cut once! Wish I had photos to share, but it was 50 years ago.

You could make a purse, you could wrap pieces of fur around a photo frame, or you could bind the edges and glue on lightweight mirrors.

Crafts SewingDecember 18, 2009
🌻
😷
👔
🎆
😎
🐛