Jam and JellyCanning

Making Apple Jam

Can someone tell me how to make apple jam. Not apple butter, apple jam.

By 1 old granny from Gunnison, UT

Look for recipes for apple preserves rather than apple jam. This link is probably what you are looking for:

http://www.cook … 6-226205,00.html

Get a box of pectin and you will undoubtedly find, under jams, apple listed as one of the fruits you can make jam from. Just follow directions.

Or, cut up your apples to the fineness you want, and cook with a couple cups of sugar and maybe a little frozen apple juice and a squirt of lemon. Watch for scorching. Apples are where we get pectin from so just cook it to point it looks and tastes the way you want. Be sure at least a few of the apples are tart green ones, that's for the pectin.

Microwave apple jam

2 medium apples, peeled and cored
1.5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Prepared containers

Mix apples with sugar in bowl.
Microwave 305 mins on high until apples are tender.
Beat apple/sugar mixture with
electric mixer until well blended.(I use my stick blender.)
Micowave on high for 3-4 mins, stirring once midway.
Stir in lemon juice.
Put in prepared container, and refrigerate.
Will last about 3 months in the refrig.

Does anyone have an Apple Jam recipe? I can find plenty for jelly, but I'm looking for jam with bits of fruit in it. Thanks.

By Jabsgram from N. Billerica, MA

Answers:

Making Apple Jam

I use Surejel and follow the recipe as if I were making jelly except that I put very thin slices of fruit in the juice. It acts as marmalade or preserves. For jam, the fruit would have to be diced or crushed. (09/16/2009)

By clynnaltemus

Making Apple Jam

Apple Butter Jam

• 16 medium apples (about 4 lbs.)
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves

To prepare pulp: wash apples, remove stems and blossom ends. Do not peel or core. Cut apples into quarters. Add 2 cups of water cover and simmer until apples are soft. Press through a sieve or food mill. Measure 2 quarts apple pulp.

To prepare butter: Combine apple pulp, sugar and spices in a large saucepot. Cook slowly until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As pulp thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. If to thick, add a small amount of water or apple juice for desired consistency. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.

Yields about 5 pints
(09/16/2009)

By latinochick

What is the best apple to use when making jam?

By kashmere

Answers:

Making Apple Jam

My ex-husband's uncle use to work for an agriculture extension agency and he worked with lots of apple farmers. They all said when cooking apples to make anything to use Rome apples. I used them for apple pies, apple jelly, and homemade apple butter they were all delicious. (08/29/2009)

By jwmn

Making Apple Jam

If you want a smooth jam, rather than a preserve, which could have chunks in it, you would do better to use an apple that cooks down on it's own, like a Golden Delicious, or similar apple, as opposed to a Red Delicious, which holds it's shape. There are many types, usually grown on farms, and only available to local folks, but we also used to use one called Early Transparent. I grew up in W. WA state, and had many choices, but you might want one for flavor, and cooking, then run in food processor. If you really like the taste of the apple, then you will probably like the taste of the finished product. Hope that helps. Loretta, now from AL (09/01/2009)

By LJF