MetalCleaning

Removing Tarnish from Stainless Steel Cutlery

Category Metal

I would like to know how to get the bluish "stain" off stainless steel cutlery. It seems to come from the dishwasher.

By Pat

I put vinegar in my stainless steel cook ware. It takes that "color" away. Test a small spot first!

I don't know how to get the stain off, as the beauty of stainless, is that it doesn't tarnish or stain, however, I know that it will stain if you spill a strong base (like drain cleaner) on it. Anyway, my point is, when you do get it clean, use a different detergent in your dishwasher. I expect it is the detergent that is causing the stain.

I have a stainless steel canteen of cutlery. I don't use it much and it is tarnished. It is from Sheffield in England. Washing alone doesn't work to remove the tarnish. Any ideas?

By ann doherty

Answers:

Right on this website is a post entitled:

Polishing Metal: Trash To Treasure (09/28/2009)

By Marjorie

Put a piece of foil in your sink, plug it, run really hot water, add baking soda and salt. All pieces must touch foil. Test a piece first. Good luck I just did all mine after being in storage 20+ years. 3 batches of stuff and it is gleaming brightly. Good luck. (09/30/2009)

By LMay

For stainless, there's a product called "Bar Keepers Friend". It's like a cleanser and I use it all the time. Use a cleaning cloth, or something used for Teflon, and put a little of the cleanser on it and rub. It's a great product. Bon Ami will do the same, I just like the Bar Keepers better. (10/01/2009)

By christine M. Thayer