AdviceBudget & Finance

Can I Keep SSI and SSA Benefits When Enrolling in College?

How can I keep my SSI or SSA benefits after I graduate and go to college? I'm going straight out of high school and I come from a very poor family.

By Greg from Alliance, OH

Greg, here are some FAQs from Social Security regarding SSA benefits and students:

http://www.ssa.  aqs_students.htm

If your family is very poor, you might qualify for federal Pell grants (these do not have to be repaid) or student loans. Repayment of student loans is not required until 6 months after you leave school, and the terms are very generous. Have you filled out a FAFSA? If not you can find that here:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

If you have good grades, ACT/SAT scores, etc., you might also qualify for scholarships. Contact the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend and ask what you can do to qualify. Ask even if your grades are average...there are scholarships available for all sorts of odd criteria.

Good luck and remember, even if you get into a situation where you borrow some money, this is an investment in your future!

A lot of kids from real poor families got to college without having SSI or SSA. They work their way through.

That isn't a question you should be asking us. We might give you a wrong answer. Contact the agency where your benefits come from and ask them.

Anonymous

Contacting your local Social Security office is your best bet for knowing this answer for certain but from what I understand if you have SSA benefits currently they will stop upon graduating from high school and/or turning age 19. You are definitely only eligible for SSI if you are disabled or over 65 years old.

Have you considered checking into scholarships (that's what I did because my family was also poor) or student loans?

Greg. My daughter has been on SSA benefits since she graduated from high school. She went straight into college. She received her Bachelors degree and is almost has her Masters degree. She is now 30 yrs. old. This has never been an issue. As a matter of fact she also got monetary help from the state.They will not take away your benefits.They encouraged her to complete her education. (The Social Security Administration). Her home is through HUD. Just thought you would like to know. If you still skeptical go to SSA.gov and ask some of your concerns.

Really redhatterb why do you have to say things like this. Stop judging people. It must be hard to be perfect.

Anonymous

Greg, one more comment. I reiterate to please talk to your local Social Security office. And please don't get your hopes up until you know the information from them directly. The information ashleybunkin gave regarding SSA for her daughter happens if your benefits are based on survivor benefits because a parent had passed away.

Greg, Even though it has been a few of years since you posted your question. I thought you should also know that if you are collecting SSDisability benifits and have any student loans you can have these loans totally forgiven and not affecting your credit score. You have to get a couple of forms either from the Social Security Administration or the lending institution in which you have student loans and have your doctor complete them. Thats what my daughter did. She went to college received a Bachelors Degree and went on and got her Masters Degree. She is on Social Security Disability.