CatsPets

Cat With High Liver Enzymes and Hypercalcemia

My 3 year old female cat has lost about a pound in the last 6 months. Other than the weight loss, she hasn't really had any other symptoms. She's not overly active, but she does run around with the kittens at night. She has been wanting a lot more attention since December, but I thought she was just growing out of her teenage years.

I took her to the vet to have her thyroid checked and her thyroid test came back normal, but other blood work revealed high blood calcium and elevated liver enzymes. The vet took more blood from her the next day (fasting draw) and sent it out to check her parathyroid and confirm that the first test was not a false positive. Her test results came back and her blood calcium was still high and her parathyroid was normal.

From what I have read, most cats that have hypercalcemia have lymphoma cancer. The vet said that if my cat was older they would automatically jump to cancer, but she has never seen this in a cat this young. Right now the vet seems more concerned about the blood calcium, but could the elevated liver enzymes be related?

We are taking my cat in for x-rays and an ultrasound to look for tumors this week. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or could offer any insight on a connection between the liver and hypercalcemia. I am not trying to gain medical advice in place of going to the vet. I do a lot of research online and try to find out as much as I can to help out my furry children. It is just nice to have other people's input.

Thank you in advance for helping me out!

By Erica

Sorry I have no experience with this, but I wish you luck & hope this isn't too serious. Please let us know how she is doing. Good luck & best wishes!

Hi Erica, I realize that it has been more than a year since you posted your question. I was just wondering if you received a definite answer about what was causing your cat's weight loss, elevated calcium levels and elevated liver enzyme levels.

My 3 year old male cat (who has lost more than a pound this year) just had blood work come back showing elevated calcium levels, as well as elevated liver enzyme levels. We will be having more blood work and an x-ray done. But I came across your post and began wondering what had happened with your kitty.