MoldCleaning

Getting Rid of Mildew in a Closet

I have a small child in the house, so this is very scary. I looked in my closet and I saw that there was mildew everywhere. There is a vent beside the closet that has cold air blowing out of it so I guess the moisture from that caused it, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the mildew for good. I bleached everything, but I'm not sure that is good enough! What should I do?

By britt21nicole from Paduxah, KY

Finding and fixing the root cause of the moisture is the only real way to stop it. Temporarily, you can mix a cleaning solution of one cup of bleach to one gallon of hot water, and wearing gloves, apply the mixture to the closet surface with a sponge, and allow to dry.

This should help fade the mildew, although you may have to do it several times. Be sure to keep the solution away from your child, and keep the child away from the midew---it can cause many illnesses and allergies.