CatsPets

Caring for a Cat With Jaw Cancer

Category Cats

My 12 year old domestic short hair was just diagnosed with cancer of the jaw. Other than soft food, antibiotics, and pain killers does anyone have any other suggestions?

By Sheela

Do what your vet says to do. Poor kitty, These things are never easy.

Anonymous

Lots of extra cuddle time! I am so sorry to hear about your fur baby having cancer :-(

How heart wrenching! Poor little kitity. I don't think their isn't much else you can do. just go by doctors orders and give him/her lots of extra special love and care!

Know in your heart when it is time to give kitty the gift of going to sleep. I know it is hard, but do the best for your best friend.

Our long haired persian had th the same thing and unfortunately was put down because of it BUT before we did that we would feed 'Jack" baby food - the meats (ham, turkey, chicken, beef flavored)... a special treat for our furry baby!

Try baby food meats on him,he will thouroughly enjoy it I PROMISE.

I don't really have any advice beyond what has already been given. I just want to tell you I'm so very sorry that you and your kitty are having to go through this. The dog I got in 2nd grade, who was still with me when I got married 15 years later, got cancer. He was like a sibling to me (I'm an only child), and it was one of the hardest things I've ever been through. Sixteen years later and I still tear up if I think about it too much (like right now). I know it's hard. Love your kitty and keep it comfortable. You'll know when it's time to say good-bye. I'll be thinking about both of you.

When my dog was diagnosed wih melanoma I put her on prednisone. It slowed down the progress of the disease-she was expect to live only about 6 mo after the diagnosis and she lived 18 mo. Pred is very cheap, it is probably on the Walmart $4 formulary. You need a Rx for it but your vet can do that.

Take him an NAET practitioner, vet or not. They will eliminate the cancer.

All I can say is do what your furbaby's doctor says to do. I feel so bad for your 'baby' and you. I have had a cat, named Jarrett for almost nine years and he has been such a dear, sweet companion and my baby all those years. It bothers me so much to think he'd ever have to cross over the Rainbow Bridge while I am still here. Will say a prayer for you both.

1) I got canned food and mashed it up in some water so my baby could easily lap it up by himself.
2) I fed him with a syringe for 4 months when he had a difficult time eating by himself. I put food in the blender with water to puree it, then sucked it up into the syringe. He would lap it up as I squirted it into his mouth.

3) Your vet can show you how to force-feed your pet if you need to.
4) I used his favorite canned cat food, moistened dry cat food, chicken, liver, beef, tuna, crab, sardines, salmon, etc--all pureed when needed. Whatever he might like at the time in whatever texture he could tolerate.

5) Prescription Diet makes special canned food you can get from your Vet; Blue buffalo is a great company to buy at the store.
6) Make sure to give your pet water too--from a syringe if necessary.

7) Keep lots of washcloths, towels, and rags handy. You're going to need them.
8) For a long time, I let my pet sleep in a box in our bedroom, next to the bed. It comforted him just to smell us nearby and be able to see us; it helped me keep an eye on him. It also made it a lot easier when I was feeding him every 2 hours all day and night long.

I also covered our sofa and a chair for my cat (large heavy-duty trash bag topped with a towel), so my baby could be with us while lying in his favorite places. It made it a lot easier to clean the towels when he had an accident and couldn't jump down to use his litterbox. If yours does wet carpeting, sop it up immediately with rags, dilute the spot with white vinegar, then sop the vinegar up with rags, followed by covering the spot with baking soda, allow it to dry completely and vacuum it up.

I have no spots and no residual smell. I used lots of vinegar and baking soda--I bought them at Sam's in bulk along with a gallon of liquid disinfectant for the laundry (towels and rags - you wouldn't believe how many we used daily).