FurnitureMake Your Own

Plans for a Fainting Couch

I am looking for plans to build a fainting couch. One with a simple wooden frame that I can complete kind of quickly and upholster.

Sue from NY

What is a fainting couch?

A fainting couch was used in the late 1800's for ladies to recline on when they felt faint from the too tight corsets they wore. It's kind of like a chaise lounge with a slanted back usually with one arm and was upholstered in rich fabrics in the victorian style.

Hi Sue: I am looking for a fainting couch plan, also. I am communicating with a company that does other furniture plans and if I have any successful response to this, I will pass it on to you.

Lorie in Canada

By Sue from NY (Guest Post)

Hi Lorie, That sounds great. I hope you get the plans soon. I am very interested.

Sue from NY

By Sandi in Georgia (Guest Post)

Hey, Sue:
Sounds like we're cut from the same cloth. I'm interested in finding plans to make my own fainting couch also. Have you had any luck yet?

Hi Sandi in Georgia, I haven't found any plans for a fainting couch, but, I did make one. I used an old upholstered chair I found at a yard sale. If your interested you can e-mail me at susie49ny AT yahoo.com and I will try to explain how I did it.

Looking to build one also but a child size for my photography. Anyone found plans yet?

Jeanee