Natural Repellents for Lizards

Category Reptiles
Lizards are harmless creatures, but can be unsettling in your home or garden. This guide contains natural repellents for lizards.

1. Clean infested area with bleach and any other cleaning agent.

2. Use spray bottle mixed with vinegar, lemon, and finely ground cayenne pepper. Spray area 1 time a day for 1 week, then 1 time a week inside and outside house.

3. Place mothballs in area inside and outside*

4. If any lizard is left behind, place plastic cup over lizard and then gently slide stiff paper under cup. Place outside a far distance because they remember where they lived.

*Editor's Note: Mothballs are made with toxic chemicals and can be dangerous for pets. Use caution if using this deterrent.

We have too many lizards that somehow get in the lanai through crevices we have yet to find. Is there anything natural that will repel them? I am sick of cleaning up after pets I never wanted, it's gross.

By Tanya from Englewood, FL

Answers

Best Answer

Try scattering moth balls around; inside and out.

A race runner lizard has taken up residence in the soil of one of my flower beds. One of your posted answers suggested mothballs and eliminating food supply, ie. bugs. So this morning I cut down my marigold bushes, sprayed the beds with insecticide and put out mothballs in pots and along the perimeter of the flower bed.

Around noon I saw the lizard climbing the fence. It then walked along the middle support to another section of the fence. Then it went down the fence, across a plywood divider and into the bed it had been sited in originally. This maneuver allowed it to avoid the heaviest concentration of mothballs.

How do I get rid of this thing? I'm ready to pour bleach over the entire bed!

Answers

Best Answer

I do not know of a lizard type called race lizard, however, your garden lizard is most probably an alligator lizard (similar appearance). They are completely harmless to humans and pets but are deadly to all garden spiders, mosquitos, pill bugs, etc., almost all garden pests.

If you want to repel or kill your lizards, you will then have many more garden pests to deal with as lizards love garden insects. You can try a search yourself (get rid of garden lizards) or this helpful site to start:

http://www.gard  -populations.htm

Does anyone know of any natural lizard repellents? Please suggest.

By Sill from Charlotte, NC

Answers

Unless the lizard is nn your house I would let them alone. They are good bug eater.

My problem is those darn little geckos have decided to use my kitchen window as their private latrine - and they poo a lot! I've tried spraying the window sill with WD40 because I read they don't like the smell and it works but not long enough so this time I am trying another hopeful suggestion. I mixed Tabasco sauce with a little water and sprayed generously all around the window sill.

Before I leave for the summer I plan to stretch packing tape (extra sticky) across the window sill sticky side up and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Any other suggestions out there?

Come on, Gordon, you have the whole outdoors! Why is my nonprivate window sill your favorite site?

Hi, I'm from Pakistan. Lizards are very common problem here. It is said here that if we use peacock feather where the lizards used to come from, they will go away. I have tried and it works for me. You should try it too, hopefully it works for you too.

try cotton small cotton ball with kerosin put different area on lizard way . i use this no lizard in house.thanks

Anonymous

Our problem is that snakes are now having a daily dining out session in our home, going after the pests...although I'm told the snakes are harmless, I do NOT like this scenario... Please help, anyone?

The lizards are eating my Sweet Broom plants. One of them ate every single leaf off of one of them.

I would leave them alone if they would not eat my plants.

What are the parts for lemon, vinegar, and cayenne pepper?

Answers

I would use half vinegar, half lemon juice, and 2 t of cayenne per quart.

This site has additional even easier homemade recipes:

www.pestwiki.com/.../#Twelve_simple_ways_to_get_rid_of_lizards

I have heard of using the Tabasco (2 tsp. in spray bottle of water) and spray close to the ground around the house and doorways as well as outside window sills. This will help to run them away from the house.

Also using mothballs inside and outside (not around pets) has been said to help..
Great website Pghgirl as I have a friend who is really afraid of lizards and is constantly looking for new ways to keep them moving to someone else's yard.

Do you know of a good lizard repellent?

By Marie from Sanford, FL

Answers:

Lizard Repellents

I use mothballs. I put 2 or 3 in each pot. For in ground plants I use as many as necessary to make them about a foot or so apart. (08/24/2009)

By Mary Jane Martin

How do you get rid of lizards?

Cynthia from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Lizard Repellents

Don't get rid of them they are good bug catchers and they won't hurt you. I have them in my house. Sometimes I see them, but most of the time I don't know they are there. They are considered to bring luck on Guam if they are in the home. I have a little dog and she doesn't bother them, but she chases the bugs. She doesn't like bugs. (09/11/2006)

By Margaret from TX

Lizard Repellents

I've been told that plain cold water in a squirt gun will incapacitate geckos that are usually too fast to catch. Then they can be taken outside or moved to another location. Make sure you wash your hands, lizards have salmonella. They will also not want to walk over bleached areas, because it will hurt their feet.

I've seen the men who clean our room use brooms in Mexico, to sweep them out, but that probably kills them. We used a towel to catch one, which I was told they do all the time in Florida. This would be lots better than a glue board, that would just stick a live lizard to it. I have also been told moth balls work for a while to repel, but not much. If you try the cold water squirt please report if it works.

(07/23/2007)

Lizard Repellents

I use Cutter Bug Spray twice a year and it drives away the insects. Although mosquitoes are still a problem, it drives down the insect population to the point that there are no lizards in the area. Used to have geckos the size of big cats and small dogs, but all are history. (11/07/2007)

By Sandeep Dalal S. Sherman Oaks, CA

Lizard Repellents

Try keeping egg shells around the places where lizards move.

(03/06/2008)

By swetha

Lizard Repellents

I had a lizard in my home and what I did was get those stick traps that you use for mice and put them in areas where they like to hide. When they walk over them they stick to the trap and then you can through them away. Just recently I have another one and he got smart and flipped the tray over. So I'm hoping that he hasn't gotten that intelligent or I'm going to have to start charging rent. (04/12/2008)

By P-Diddy

Lizard Repellents

Try the squirt gun with water and a lemon base oil, you may like the smell but the creatures don't. Spray area every three to four weeks, if you have to. (05/21/2008)

By Bearwolf