RecipesOrganizing

Use A Drawer Instead Of A Recipe Box

Save counter space and quickly find a favorite recipe by turning a small, spare kitchen drawer (mine measures 10 inches across) into a recipe box filled only with your family's favorites. All the "oh, I wanna try that" recipes never go in the drawer until they've been cooked, tried, and loved by husband and kids. My recipe drawer is a work in progress, but it is up and running enough that it has saved me from sifting through all the cookbooks, loose recipes and those saved on the computer in search of that one favorite.

Make your own dividers and recipe cards to make the drawer look like a small filing cabinet when pulled out or a giant standard recipe box. My dividers separate our favorites into: Main courses, Side dishes, Cakes, Pies, Cookies, Breakfast, Party favorites, and Breads. Some might prefer to use a binder or computer program - whatever works. My little drawer didn't offer too much in the way of useful storage but has turned out to be quite handy as a recipe box.

By cakeluv from Henry, TN

That's a great idea - maybe once my kitchen is remodeled I can delegate a drawer for this! Thanks.

I do this too, using a regular recipe file box as I do not have an extra drawer in my kitchen. I also add file cards with favorite recipes from my cookbooks, noting the title of the recipe and the name and page of the cookbook where it can be found. It saves a lot of time!

I have a friend, both she and her husband like to cook and are always trying new recipes. Instead of having a regular size recipe box or keeping their recipes on their computer, they use a full size desk drawer complete with category dividers, etc. She said this way, recipes are easily located and it will hold more recipes than the average recipe box.

By Terri H. from NV

Answers:

Recipe Drawer

Terri, This is one awesome idea. I'm going to clean out a drawer this winter. What a great way to get rid of the cludder I have in two recipe holders plus a cabinet with loose papers piling up. Well maybe not that extreme. Thanks for a wonderful kitchen tip!
Jennifer CA (12/05/2006)

By jjager

Recipe Drawer

This sounds like a great idea for those who collect coupons, too. (12/06/2006)

By the Oracle