Gnarly Old Weeping Willow

Thought tree lovers might like to see my enormous willow tree. Photos really don't do it justice. Standing beside it, however, is a truly humbling experience, imagining all the years and history it has seen, the storms it has withstood, the children that have climbed and built forts in it. Are there any tree experts out there that could hazard a guess of its age? I have no idea.

By ~gloria from upstate NY

That is so beautiful, it is so old and amazing! :)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thanks Robyn,
I love this old tree. I must admit, it's the reason we bought this house (much to my husband's dismay). Unfortunately, it drops lots of twigs and branches every time we have the slightest breeze. And if it ever loses a big trunk, it will probably come down on the roof.

Yikes.

My grands say it's like the Harry Potter tree, whatever that means. I haven't read the books. They love to climb it. And it's full of squirrels. It's like a squirrel apartment house.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
~gloria

Reply Like this photo? Yes

To find its age just cut it down and count the number of rings! Seriously though, I like your photo and I bet it`s seen a bit of history. Very interesting.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I just love this picture! My son and his dad built a cool tree house in our backyard willow tree many years ago. One summer, he was especially thrilled with his secret place and I finally understood why. I climbed up and discovered my neighbor's teenage daughter was sunbathing at a perfect vision spot in the tree house! LOL! Thanks for the good memories this picture elicited.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Sargeant, I used to know a formula for finding the age of trees, without resorting to chopping them down. However, willows are an exception since they ten to grow a lot faster than other trees. At least that's what I've heard.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Cheryl, Hah! funny story. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your comments.

Reply Like this photo? Yes