FloorsCleaning

Problems With Finish On Hardwood Floors

Help! I am extremely frustrated with my hardwood floor. We have the Armstrong Sugar Creek Solid Plank in cherry, so it is quite dark. I have two problems. First, we had been using the Orange Glo on it, so we have the same problem many others have had, a hazy, milky residue that we can't get off. I've read so many conflicting things (Windex, Quick Shine, wax stripper) I don't what to do to get this residue off.

My second problem, in an attempt to get rid of the residue we hired someone who did a "floor renewal". He did only one room so we could see what his service actually provided. He apparently used a product to get the residue off, buffed the floor and then applied a layer of very shiny polyurethane. It looked fine at first, but now I have noticed that the layer has peeled in a couple places and after sweeping this morning I could see the broom marks all over the room!

This has never happened before! These marks are obviously in the coat he put on and not in the wood. Besides, I think the coating is too shiny anyways. Any suggestions? I am just beside myself! Now I have two problems instead of just one!

Ploon

Wow. Some of those "glo"products are not supposed to be used on hardwood floors. Contact customer service at the Armstrong Co. to see what is wrong. Then go back to your guy who did the one room and tell him to fix it. It may have to be stripped and re-sanded, then re-finished.

We had our old hardwood floors refinished and were told by the re-finisher that if we ever used Murphy's Wood Soap that we would have to re-sand.

I clean my lovely old hardwood with a LITTLE bit of vinegar in warm water and just mop.

When I called about ours, the flooring company told me not to use any cleaning products or vinegar on them. He said vinegar would dry them out.

I now use Avon bubble bath, and my floors are clean and my house smells wonderful too!