Starting a Website for My Neighborhood

I have been reading about community and one of the ways I thought I might inspire more in my neighborhood would be to create a website for us all. Perhaps to have a classified section, a trading/bartering post, maybe some stories about the early days (it was built in the late 50's) from some of the original homeowners. etc.

I was curious if anyone had tips for ideas or what NOT to do. I thought maybe posting addresses and names might be bad or phone numbers. In this age of identity theft I want to protect people but I also want to make it personable.

Open to all comments!

Thanks,
Robin from Marietta, GA

Instead of a website you might consider Yahoo! groups. you can set it up so that a moderator (yourself) has to approve each member in order to have access to the calendar/photos/emails/postings associated with this group

I do this for my neighborhood. First, I set up a "Group" called "HOA" (no quotes) (Ours is a homeowner's association) . Then, as I add contacts, I structure the name somewhat like this: HOA Smith, Susan - next, of course, I add the email address. This throws all the addresses together in the big address book so I can easily find someone by just typing HOA Smith.

Once I have created and saved the group, I make sure I have selected "BCC" in my outgoing email to them. I add the address book by typing HOA and the group pops up. I just click on HOA and it adds everyone in the group at one time. I send the message. Each recipient gets their copy to their name eg, Susan Smith - from me - with copies to "Undisclosed Recipients." That way, no one ever sees their email address except them and me.

Works great and everyone loves it coming directly to their inbox.