Saving on Overdraft Charges

My husband and I have a debit card that was causing us a lot of problems. He'd use the card for everyday expenses (gas fill-ups, etc.) and forget to record the purchase and vice versa. Unfortunately, there were a few times that these slip-ups cost us $30 overdraft fees!

To prevent this, we started withdrawing a set amount of cash on the weekend and put it in an envelope. This is our "daily cash fund". If either of us needs money for small purchases during the week, we take it from there instead of reaching for the debit card. This way we know exactly how much was taken out of the bank and "saves" us money that used to be wasted in overdraft fees.

By Lisa

I make sure I get the receipt and at the end of the night I write down everything I charged.

http://www.frugalforlife.com

My husband and I had the same problem. I started doing my banking online and now I balance my checkbook weekly instead of monthly. It goes very quickly, and I only have a week's worth of charges that he forgot to tell me about, instead of a month's worth.

It only takes a few minutes a week and it is much easier to keep up with. When I use my debit card I put the reciepts in a special pocket in my billfold and then I write them down when I have time. Just a couple of tips. Hope it helps!

Budget & Finance BankingAugust 11, 2005
🌻
🎂
📓