Extra Cleaning Charges for Vacation Rental Property

Category Legal
Vacation homes at the beach.
If your rental property is damaged by a renter beyond what the cleaning deposit will cover, it may be necessary to bill additional cleaning charges. This is a guide about extra cleaning charges for vacation rental property.

I take care of vacation rentals (clean/manage). The renters have to sign a rental agreement/contract in which they agree to leave the rental in the same condition that they have found it upon arrival. They have also paid a required cleaning fee for general cleaning ie; stripping and making beds, laundering all bed linens and towels, wiping all surfaces in kitchen and bathrooms, sweeping, vacumning and moping of all floors. What is not included in this general cleaning and is the responsibility of the renter is the removal of all trash, all food, washing of all used dishes (leaving the dishwasher running is OK) and putting any furniture back if moved. If this is not met it would be considered excessive cleaning and you will be charged accordingly.

So my question is if in the event that a renter leaves the place a mess and it is found that there is vomit and or feces and or blood on walls, floors, beds, etc., all the bathroom trash cans full with used sanitary products as well as other yukky things that you would find in bathroom trash. What would you consider a reasonable fee? Or should there be an extra charge based on what the rental agreement/contract that they have signed states? I am very confused on the proper protocol to follow.

Answers

Best Answer

I would do it just as I do my rental property. Take it as a deposit beforehand. If it passes, refund it. If not, keep it or prorate it. However, you will need to have it in your contract what the fees are--such as $5 per trash can to empty, $10 for dirty dishes left out, $50 for having to wash curtains, walls or trim work, $100 to clean carpets.

If it is very bad, take photos before cleaning in the event they dispute it with their credit card company.

The best way to handle this is to collect the fee beforehand and then to refund it upon a thorough inspection of the room. Once the occupants leave it's harder to collect.

I agree-require a large cleaning fee at first and then refund a set amount to refund if the places are completely clean. The refund will be credited after the places are inspected. If there is ANY PROBLEM, no refund at all! Put this specifically in the rental agreement and make sure people read and sign!

Some people are such losers that they make life more difficult for all!!!

I think the incident that was described must be used as your model. What could have been done to prevent loss... "better late than never". I do think that a menu of charges will help, trash 10.00, dishes 10.00, etc.