AdviceBaby Shower

Combining a Baby Shower and Wedding Reception

My daughter is getting married in November 2011. Their baby is due December 2011. Does anyone have any frugal tips for a baby shower/reception? The wedding is going to be at their church. I need ideas for inexpensive venues for the reception. We have $1,500 to spend on everything. Thanks for your help.

By Shia

As far as the shower goes, this morning I was reading in an etiquette column, that it isn't proper for family members to give showers. Call around to different places like VFW, American Legion, Senior Citizen Center, church fellowship halls, schools, etc. and ask what they would charge. If the wedding is going to be in a church, it would be logical to have the reception in the fellowship hall. Of course I realize a lot of churches wouldn't be in favor of dancing or having booze of any kind served on their premises.

I just goggled combined baby shower and wedding receptions and got quite a few sites so you may want to try that. From what I read though they suggest in cases like this to have the baby shower after the baby is born. I would suggest with such little money to work with see if you can have the reception at the church and it doesn't have to be a full blown dinner/ dancing thing.

My niece just had a simple tea/ coffee and cake reception after her wedding in the church fellowship hall and it was very nice. Depending if you are a member of the church lots of times the ladies of the church are more than willing to help set up, serve and clean up IF it was simple like cake and coffee. Churches should already have the linens and silver, table and chairs etc. so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Also some churches have table centerpieces used on different occasions that might be suitable. Good luck!

Anonymous

Simply have the shower in your home or at a family member or friends home combining both types of old fashioned wedding shower and baby shower games. Are you crafty or have any crafty friends? If so, come up with a combination wedding/baby shower handmade invitation.

To keep the costs down for all ask the invitees to bring a dish or two to pass in lieu of a gift for the bride and upcoming child and you supply the punch and decorations. This time is for sharing joy with loved ones and not about receiving gifts or spending oodles of money and especially because the events are so close together. I wish your daughter, new son-in-law and upcoming grandchild oodles of Blessings :-)

I certainly wouldn't combine the reception and the baby shower.
Wedding reception - have it at the church, your home, or nearby park. Have small sandwiches served in dinner rolls, relishes, potato salad, potato chips, fruit salad, wedding cake, coffee and punch. Have a dj or karaoke if you want to have anything other than soft background music.

Baby shower - have the mom-to-be give you a list of invitees and then ask her who she thinks would be willing to be the party hostess. Hold the shower at your home. Have the hostess help you address and mail the invites. Have the food be simple, such as a dessert only event or hors d'ourves and cake.

If you wait until after the baby is born, it might be easier financially and time-wise on the invitees who are all very busy in November and December, but don't wait too long. My baby was 6 months old by the time my church held a shower for us. That was a long wait.

Why don't you just have the wedding reception and let her friends give the baby shower? Normally parents don't give the baby shower. That way you could spend the money on the reception.