Reusing Belts

Category Reusing
Belt on White Background
Belts, your own, or ones picked up at yard sales and the thrift store can be given a second life. This is a guide about reusing belts.

A good way to recycle old belts is to turn them into dog collars. Measure your dog's neck, then add 3-4 inches to the measurement. Cut the belt to the appropriate length, rounding the end. Make new holes using an awl and a hammer. You could decorate the collar with rhinestones, buttons, etc.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Recycle your old leather belts by cutting them down to fit children. Just cut down to size and punch new holes into the belt.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

You can use the belt as an elongated multi-clothes hanger. First, slip the belt buckle over a sturdy clothes hanger. Then hang it in your closet. Now you have an elongated hanger. Each hole can hold a swivel-headed clothes hanger and you can place skirts, blouses, pants, etc. on a hanger and place each hanger in each of the holes of the belt. If you need to, you can make the holes a little larger with a leather punch in order to accommodate the size of the head of the clothes hanger. This is a great idea to conserve space in your closet. Works great! This will keep your closet more organized.

By Sharon from Costa Rica

Tips for using clothng belts for something other than keeping your pants up. Post your ideas.

I take cloth belts (usually the ones that come with a pair of pants) and create curtain ties from them and use them to hold my hair clips.

By B Schroedter

I use my leather belt to strap all my library books together before putting them in the car. When I put them in a bag everything slides out when I turn a corner. This way they stay together and where I put them. Just grab the loose end of the strap, and and carry it over your shoulder like a backpack.

I use the cloth belts to fasten around comforters. First I fold the comforter until it is 2' in width. Then I roll it into a small barrel shape. I fasten this with the belt. I can stack many of these side by side on a shelf, and they do not fall off or shift. It is easy, then, to grab the one you want by the "waist" and put it to use in a jiffy.

Well I know from my Emergency training that a belt can be used as a tourniquet to stop the flow of blood in an emergency situation. Of course you want to get to the ER, but this can keep someone from dying of blood loss on the way.

Old leather belts or even sturdy cloth belts can be woven in a cross hatching to replace broken seats or braking of wicker caining. Adds a new look.

You can also make them look rustic ( if they do not already) and ad straps or decoration to little wooden chests, or trim a foot stool.

I have all my colorful cloth scrunchies threaded on a belt. Then the belt is coiled and placed in a basket. Looks quite decorative and I can find that orange and brown scrunchie when I need it for school spirit day.

Sew a towel to a washable belt and instant apron! You could also just flip the towel over the belt and buckle it on.

I made collars for my homemade pound puppies years ago from skinny, ladies leather belts.

I have also used belts to replace handles on instrument cases - cut to fit and buckle it in the loops. You can add tape around the handle if you want.

How can I use my husband's leather belt?

By Richa

Use as your band when doing exercises.

Make a bag and use it for the strap; could be a purse, book bag, shopper; handles on a basket or tray. Wrap around a vase or planter.

Use as if were ribbon or fabric trim on curtains, pillows, furniture, frames.

Make a fashionable draft stopper for a door or window.

Cut it down to a pet collar.

Coil it onto a shadow box frame and hang it on the wall.

We adopted 2 puppies in July. They were (and still) are growing so fast that we found ourselves buying collars nearly once a month. I was going though some old clothes to give away, and found a suitcase that I had put some belts in. Idea! I cut one of the belts down and punched a couple new holes in it and put it on my dog, Kayla. If you don't have any belts lying around, check out your local thrift store, garage sales, etc. Decorate according to your taste, gems, old costume jewelry, studs and even fake fruit for that Carmen Miranda look! Let your imagination go WILD!

By Laurie from Nevada

Answers:

Homemade Dog Collar

WOW great tip. I have two doggies and the little yorkie kept chew the Jack Russell's collar and we
went through quite a few for six months. I am sure this tip will save money for others. I am going to
use some old belts to make a few collars for my doggies so they can be dressed properly. (10/31/2006)

By meoowmom