Soap Swan

This is a vintage craft from the 60's made from nylon net and a bar of soap. The kids could help with this one. I think the shape of the Dove soap has changed so you may have to modify the pattern or the bar of soap to complete this project. I have used a bar of Dove from about 20 years ago. I had made it into a swan at that time, and just dismantled it and rebuilt it with fresh materials. I believe you could use any bath bar and, perhaps, carve the edges at the point that makes the tail.

• 1 bar of soap
  • 2 pieces of white nylon net, 10x18 inches
  • 1 white chenille stem, cut in half and twisted together
  • 1 inch Styrofoam ball
  • 2 wiggly eyes, 2MM size
  • white glue (Tacky)
  • yellow food coloring
  • round toothpick
  • twist tie or short piece of yarn
  • a few small silk flowers
  • 3 bulletin board push pins
  • Optional: a few sequins in assorted colors

Instructions:

1. Stack the nylon net. Lay soap about in the middle and gather it, pulling upward at the end for the tail. Arrange it until you are pleased with the appearance; then fasten tightly with twist tie or yarn.
  2. Using the photo as a guide, insert twisted chenille stem into front of soap and bend it into a curve.
  3. Insert the other end into the Styrofoam ball.
  4. Ad

5. Dip the toothpick into the yellow food coloring about 1/3 of the way. Cut that part, and dip in white glue and push into Styrofoam ball for the beak.
  6. Glue the eyes in place, and add a few flowers at the base of the neck and one on top of the head.
  7. Push the pins into the bottom of the soap in a triangular pattern.
  8. White glue sequins to tail at random, if you like.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click Here to download the Soap Swan Instructions in PDF format.

About The Author: Harlean Greathouse is a mother of three who has been married for 45 years. Long time readers of ThriftyFun will probably recognize her as Harlean from Arkansas, the name she has posted under as a valuable member of the ThriftyFun community. She specializes in wood crafts and enjoys designing crafts using recyclable materials, knitting, crochet and has been an arts and crafts vendor for over 35 years. Harlean has a CD available with 11 unique crafts designs for only $5.00 (including shipping). For more information visit:
http://www.thri … sts/harlean.html

This is really cute. Thanks for the idea, my granny has her master bath done in swans, think I will do this up for her.

This is really cute. I am going to help my grandchildren make one for their mother for Mother's Day which is on the 11 May here in Australia.

I had forgotten about this craft! We made these as Mother's Day gifts in Girl Scouts! We also did the candles made with a square soap (we always used Cashmere Bouqet because it was cheap and smelled good) and washcloths, with a small piece of ribbon for the "wick". Thanks for bringing back a great memory. My Mom kept the swan in the bathroom as decoration (being a scout leader, she ensured that I used her colors, lol!) for years.

Anonymous

My grandmother made goldfish from a bar of Dow with net for tail and small piece net on sides for flippers with poke pearl pins for eyes. Miss her. Miss them.