Packing Peanuts in Net Bags for Plant Containers

Like many others I use packing peanuts in my flower containers. I don't have to use as much potting soil, and it keeps my containers lighter. This year I went to go change out the soil in my biggest container. I had to hand pick out each peanut from the soil. What a chore! When I went to replace the peanuts this time, I put them in an onion net bag and tied the bag off. Next time I go to change out the potting soil it will be a snap!

By Liz from New Baden, IL

Thanks for the idea. I just put the peanuts in my flower pot, put the soil over them and thought-What happens when I have to repot with all these peanuts in the soil. Thanks for a great solution.

Thank you!

Excellent idea! Maybe panty hose "legs" could be used as an alternative to the onion bag. I've heard of using empty pop cans as a filler too.

NO, it doesn't work, just use dirt [soil][, the roots die when thery get to the peanuts. And it's murder to get them out of that soil. I reuse soil, and put it all in my compost, all the peanuts need to be removed or it will be unsightly in your garden. Also the peanuts release formaldehyde, do you want to eat that?

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would bother to pick them out and not just use fresh ones. This also insures no bugs or infestations in the soil are passed on to new plants which is a good idea. Peanuts are biodegradable so along with the soil you're replacing you can throw them in the compost pile and it all gets reused another time. Perfect recycling of all things natural. Peanuts are cheap and if you have left overs, squirrels love them.