How Do I Remove Bad Odor from Ice Trays?

My ice trays came with my refrigerator. When I take them out of the freezer to use the ice, the empty trays have a very bad freezer smell. How can I remove this smell and keep it from happening? Thanks.

By Linda Watters from Mount Morris, PA

Try soaking the trays in hot water and a bit of baking soda.If it were me I'd just get new ones or at thrift stores.

Clean out the freezer by defrosting, washing and disinfecting. This will help keep the environment in your freezer safe for food storage.

Leave a box of baking soda in the fridge & freezer. Get rid of food that is old (the freezer allows food to keep longer, but not forever). Toss the stinky trays and pick up some new ones.

Plan when you will be cleaning out the freezer. That way you can use up some of the food and not purchase any until after cleaning. I find it is a lot easier if there is less items to have to keep frozen in a cooler. Dry Ice works well to keep items frozen while cleaning is being done.

Thank you to both of you for the hints on ice tray odor.

Linda

I have done this too and find the plastics they are made of hold smells and your ice will smell the same. Found it was cheaper and easier to buy 10 # when I get groceries, keep in a tupperware container in the freezer. Tastes good goes much futher than being frugal.

I just pop them in the top rack of the dishwasher. I've tried other methods, but this one is the one that fixes the smell the best, at least for me.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 31, 2010
🎉
🎄