Internet TipsComputers

Online Etiquette

Try not to type in ALL CAPS. I think it makes it harder to read and it looks like the author is shouting. I've seen this as a requirement for various on-line communities and forums.

By Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Editor's Note: Do you have any online etiquette advice? Post it here!

In addition to this one, I'd suggest not sending people things that are solely existing to be forwarded.

If you must, please check http://snopes.com/ to see if it's a legend or myth (if so, please don't pass it along, and perhaps even tell the person you got it from that it's not true).

Similarly, please remove any dire warnings about what happens if the people you send it to do not continue the chain mail message.

Great suggestion! I hate it when people type in caps. So hard to read.

I also agree with wispfox about forwarding. I use Snopes very often. I also delete any previous addresses that show up from forwarding. And, I generally use the blind copy feature when sending emails to more than one person.

My sister taught me online etiquet, especially the value of deleting other emails in a forwarded thread and using the "bcc" feature. My pet online peeve - both in emails and online - is lack of proofreading and attention to simple rules of grammar. How would you feel, interviewing for a good job, if your prospective boss declined your application because you cursed, misspelled or used bad grammar online? abbreviations (like l8r and ttyl) are one thing, but think before you press send or comment, please!

btw,my "myth-buster" site is www.truthorfiction.com, a good alternative to Snopes.