Grants for Costs Not Paid By Medicare

Category Healthcare
Medicare is an important program designed to assist with medical care and costs, however, it does not cover all of your expenses. This is a guide about grants for costs not paid by Medicare.

My mom is 77 and is on small fixed income and she needs new dentures and hearing aids are there any grants out there for her?

By John W from St. Paul, MN

Answers

Check with your Department of Social Services and see if they know of any available help for your Mom. They also have a section in their office called Adult Services for Aging. I'm familiar with that because I am 71. They also help with homemaker services. I know here in SD, there is a department that helps people with dentures. I have a friend who got new dentures through them about a year ago, but I can't contact her right now, every now and then she becomes incommunicado, she does this once in awhile, when she wants to get away from everything. Also check with your Easter Seal Office(the one in your area.) I know at one time people could donate hearing aids to them and they would be refurbished and in turn loaned/given out. They weren't the real fancy little ones, but they did work.

I need help to pay for new dentures. I'm a low income disabled senior. I will appreciate any info.

By Diane from Weatherford, TX

Answers

I am also a senior on a fixed income. I went to the free dental clinic but all they would do is pull teeth but they did tell me I could go to the local teaching college to get the teeth made for a lot less.

Where I live the dental school will only do exams and cleaning.

I wish I knew, my mother is in the same situation, and I'm not in a position to help. :(

Try Affordable Dentures, I don't know if they have it in your area or not. I live in Ga. and went to Florida to get mine. Its a one day service from impressions to dentures. There are 3 different prices, Economy-$275, is the most used, I'm sorry I can't remember the other prices, but the more you spend the better the quality, The economy lasts for 2 yrs. The other 2 (custom or premium) lasts 14 yrs. Go to Affordable Dentures.com. Hope this helps.

Look up Donated Dental and see if they are in your area. It could take awhile, because you are put on a waiting list. But my name finally came up, and I was blessed with a wonderful dentist, and got a full set of dentures.

I am lucky to have a local dental school. It does take longer to have anything done but you can't fault the price. Check to see if you one one nearby or 50 miles away still would be alright for what you would be saving on the cost of dentures.

If you're a veteran, you should qualify for help through the local veterans' medical services. You'd need your DD-214 and probably other paperwork like proof of income and expenses.
Failing that, if you don't have a dental college within driving distance, ask around to find a reasonably-priced dentist who would let you make regular monthly payments. If I had to self-pay rather than Medicare covering my dental work, my dentist would do whatever necessary once half the total cost of the work was paid.