Ticking Noise Coming From AC Air Ducts?

0
Share
3
Save
Follow
Print

I live in a loft with 12.5 foot ceilings with air ducts from the central AC unit that run at the ceiling. Here is my dilemma. After the AC unit cycles off there is this TICKING NOISE in one section of the air ducts that is driving me insane. Does anyone know why this ticking noise is occurring? And more importantly, how can I make it stop? Thank you so much.

Traci

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 472 Feedbacks

Does it happen when you run the furnace too? It's probably the ducts swelling and retracting from the temperature differences, and is normal. I remember my parent's doing this when I lived at home, my grandparent's did it, and now mine does it too. Different homes have differing sounds. Can't get rid of it as annoying as it may be--just learn to tune it out.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

my guess would be that the ducts don't fit real tightly and when the ac goes off they are getting warm and expanding and when the ac is on they shrink up. you probably just don't hear it when the ac is on. i wouldn't think you could do a lot about it. it is as natural as breathing for metal ducts.

With the metal ducts being completely exposed you can see how ticking at 4:00am can drive a person mad. :)

I appreciate the responses. I was afraid of the no-cure concept, however, I was hoping :)

If anyone has any additional suggestions, short of earplugs (Im already on that one) I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousAugust 20, 2006
🎆
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf78700501.tip.html