Potty Training Dance

My granddaughter was VERY hard to potty train until I saw a "Nanny" type TV show that showed the mom, dad or sitter doing a special dance with the child every time they went potty. I made up a very simple dance and told her I had a special dance we would do every time she used the pot. Well, this intrigued her more than candy or toy bribes ever had! Make sure it's something simple with a catchy tune that they can easily learn.

Mine went something like "We do the potty dance, we do the potty dance, we kick one foot up, then the other foot up, then we turn around, and WHOOO!" (and on Whooo, we jump up with our hands up in the air!) You do this with your little one while holding both of their hands (like in ring around the rosy). and I'll guarantee you, They'll feel SOOO special that they have their very OWN dance that they'll continue to want to use the potty again and again! (We made up a different dance for #2) The potty dance takes less than one minute of your time, but BOY-OH-BOY it sure does motivate them!

I am so glad you posted this. My granddaughter will be 3 the end of June, and although she knows what she's supposed to do, she is not interested in it at all. Every now and then she'll use the potty chair. I always reward her with candy, which she loves, but doesn't seem to motivate her very much. I'll try this "dance." Sounds like something she would love to do! Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing. I think I also read a previous tip of yours about teaching a child to read with BIG red letters. I have a 10 month old boy and I can't wait to try these tips.

Wow! What a terrific grammy you are! I think this is so much better than candy. Seems they get enough candy as it is. I sort of did this with my little doxie when I was training her. I would clap and give a couple of litle hops and say, "Yeah Lucy!! What a good girl you are!" Went ok at home but sort of got embarassing at rest areas.

What a lucky girl she is to have such a smart, loving grandma!

I wish someone would do that potty dance at my daughter's house. Her 3 yr. old will not go potty. She'll sit there for an hour but not go tinkle. I'll try the potty dance next time she's here at my house. I've even promised to buy her a sand box (she loves playing in the dirt). That hasn't worked either yet.