RepairingClothing

Silk Dress Shrank in the Wash

Category Repairing

I bought a maxi dress that says 100% silk with a 100% polyester lining on the label. I washed the dress on a delicate cycle in a wash bag and hung it up to dry on a hanger. However now when I put the dress on the lining is longer than the fabric at the front and back. It is the same length at the side seams. I have tried gently ironing, but it hasn't helped. Is there a way to restore its length?

By Jamee-lee

On the liner, at the waist, sew a horizontal seam the same depth as the difference in length of the hems. For example, if the liner is 1 inch longer, than make the seam that deep. This can be done on the front and the back of the dress. Iron the liner fabric to make it flat.

This won't make the silk fabric longer, but you will still be able to wear the dress!