SnakesPest Control

Does "boric acid" kill snakes?

Does "boric acid" kill snakes?

Jenni from Connelly Springs, North Carolina

By Iggits (Guest Post)

Boric acid can kill insects, but I don't know about snakes. Why would you want to kill snakes? Snakes are a natural predator for mice, rats, moles and other things that you don't want hanging around in your house or yard. Most snakes are non-poisonous and are more afraid of you than you are of them. If you see a snake, back off slowly and LEAVE IT ALONE. As soon as it realizes it has a safe passage away from you, IT will leave. Don't poke at it or make it feel threatened in any way and it will keep it's distance if you keep yours.

Anonymous

I love this website now I know what to do if a snake come near me but what if you run like crazy but it don't do anything to you?

What about your pets,my dog got bit by a spread nater which around here are suppose to be harmless,what happens it takes 4 weeks about for them to die without anti venue because it stops the blood from clotting problem is I didn't Know it till it was to last, that it had bitten her till a huge knot come up on her throatbut it was to late by then..

She was the best friend and protectected me more than any human ever had, I'm disabled and all by myself, Bless her heart I believe she stayed to watch over me as long as she could, i miss her trerrible&my heart is brokenand will never be the same, she taught me what true unconditional LOVE really is....oh and if I see that snake in my yard I will chop it into a million pieces In Honor of my Hazel...

I Love you my litte Angle Hazel B.

By (Guest Post)

Call your local animal control or even police station's non-emergency number and they will have someone out there to assist you.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

No. I remember that Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled in a circle around where you want them to stay out of will discourage them. God bless and help you. : )

By Penny Foss (Guest Post)

Dear Lydia=

I empathize strongly with your wish to get rid of snakes. To the best of my knowledge you can purchase a chemical that is the active ingredient in Moth Balls, spread it around the area's where you see the snakes and because the snakes do not like the smell, they will avoid that area. You can get this item at a local hardware store. It does smell strongly and you will notice it for a few days yourself and even might deter you from gardening as well. It is a very potent chemical.

A farming member of my family used to find the hole where the snakes lived, and pour gasoline in the hole, and set fire too it. However, I thinks this "sure kill"method is barbaric and very dangerous. I do not recommend it.

I personally would rather deter them naturally than resort to anything drastic. But lastly, contacting your local animal control officer is always good advice too. I have had good experience with these folks too.
Some even can do a "desenitization training", but I really did not want such at the time.

I stuck with the Moth Ball treatment and also got some cats that live outside. They are good deterents also, if the type of snake is not poisonous or dangerous. Just be aware too that if they find a snake they may bring it too you to show you their victory!

Good luck, Penny

By B. M REX - India (Guest Post)

Boric acid can never kill a snake or ever repell them.
The best way is to mix broken naphthlene balls and yellow sulphur powder and sprinkle around your place once in a month till you get rid of the problem.

If there is a rain, pl. repeat it as the rain water will wash away the active ingrdients.

By Christina (Guest Post)

Snakes follow their food. If you don't want snakes around, get rid of the rodents. In the winter they seek out heat sources around houses but usually won't go into a basement unless they follow a mouse or rat. They really would rather stay in the outdoors and not end up in your house. Wood piles and gardens attract rodents and therefore snakes. So, if you see lots of snakes around your house, you have lots of rats too. Get rid of those and the snakes will leave on their own. On the other hand, I have known people who buy harmless gopher snakes to keep in their garden to control the rodent population. Now that's eco-friendly pest control!