Fuel Gauge Reminder

Do you ever forget what side your gas tank is on? Well look at your fuel gauge inside the car, there should be a little symbol that looks like a gas pump with a little arrow that will either be pointing left or right of your gauge. That arrow tells you which side your gas tank is on :-)

By Lisa from Rocky River, OH

By (Guest Post)

I've never forgot which side but I never knew that. Thanks for the tip.

By Georgia. (Guest Post)

WOW

By JulieB (Guest Post)

Thanks, Lisa! I just pulled up to the wrong side yesterday! The way I usually remember is "Pass gas" (It's on the passengers side of my car) Get it?

By Teresa (Guest Post)

Actually, this is false. I thought the email I received with this information was correct also and thought,,,,ahhh how clever. I work at a body shop and decided to check the validity of this information. It is not correct. I check the cars in our parking lot and they did not always correspond to the information you gave.

It is a good idea for the car makers to do this though.

Editor's Note: I checked both of my cars and they both have an arrow indicating where the tank is. I think this is common, but as Teresa said, not 100% accurate.

By liz (Guest Post)

Guess what, not always true. We have an acura tsx and the arrow does not correspond with which side the gas tank is on. Oh well! but thanx for sharing!

Well, I just checked both of my cars (both Chryslers) a 91 Colt & a 96 Voyager... Neither of them have anything of the sort... Could be because my cars are what many would consider "older" vehicles? ...It'd be a very good idea for the manufacturers though! Especially for those who use rental cars often!

91 Ford van - no arrow, but it's a good idea.

I also wish they'd put a little indoor thermometer inside the car. I once put a magnetic one on the dashboard, and when I went through emissions inspection, the inspector somehow got the idea my engine was overheating, and didn't pass my car!

My car guy was really insulted, and I passed the next time with a different inspector. Cars can be mysterious objects.

By Sheila (Guest Post)

That's terrific and never knew that!

Sheila, Avon

By Maureen (Guest Post)

How about putting a little colored sticker on either the left or right side of your instrument panel? It should be small enough where passengers won't ask what it's for, and you won't feel like an idiot telling them!

I'll have to check mine out tomorrow. I just pulled up to the wrong side today!

Maryeileen, Brooklyn OH (Lisa, I grew up in Fairview Park where my parents still live.)

By (Guest Post)

Well, my buick has no has gas symbol and the chrysler has a gas symbol but no arrows. As to the person who wrote about putting a indoor magnetic temp gauge on the dash board and the inspector got the idea the car was over heating,I don't get that at all.

For a car to overheat the engine temp has to be over 212 degrees fahrenheit and I don't think the indoor gauge registered anywhere near 212.

By suzanne (Guest Post)

Not always true. The 96 ford pickup I had didn't have it and neither does the 98 dodge I have.

By (Guest Post)

I have a 2003 pickup and it doesn't do that

By Debrias (Guest Post)

Yes, I knew this. It is a big help for forget types like myself. Thanks, Liesel.
Debrias

By Therese, Fairview Park, OH (Guest Post)

I have been saved by this little picture many times! Thanks for bringing it up-if every vehicle had one we'd all be a lot less frustrated at the pump!

Consumer Advice Cars Helpful HintsMay 2, 2008
🐛
🌻
😷
😎
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf81182856.tip.html