Kitchen AppliancesHome Improvement

Frost in my Frost-Free Freezer

I have a frost free freezer only about 5 or 6 years old and lately I have been getting frost in it on the top. I thought maybe I was getting left open so I put a piece of velcro on it to secure the door shut, but still there is frost. What could be happening here?

Hi, I've never tried this but I heard a tip years ago that you can defrost the freezer and wipe it dry. Then wipe it over with Glycerine. Apparantly it helps defrosting next time as it supposed to slide right off. Hope it works. You may also want to check that your seals are gripping properly or this will rapidly cause a large build-up of ice.

Sounds like the seals, the rubber gasket around the edge of the door is leaking and needs either cleaning or replacement.

Make sure your defrost motor is working. It blows warm air through the freezer from time to time, to take out the frost.

Hello. I have a small chest freezer (Frigidaire). The other day I noticed the food items at the top of the freezer were thawing out. I checked to see if a breaker had been tripped. It had not. I turned the control knob, and the unit kicked on the items quickly "re-froze." A few days later the same thing occurred. I turned the knob again, and it came on. I checked the unit htis morning and it was still running ( I have the control knob set at its coldest setting). Do yo think it may be the thermostat going on the blink? If so, is it difficult to replace? The control knob sits on a removable panel. Do you "pull-off" the knob, before you pop-off the panel? Sure need some help. Thanks.

Michael

The buid-up of ice is at the bottom of my Freezer adjacent to the door opening. The door is vertical (not on top) How do I check if the cause is the defrost warm air motor or the gasket?