Clothing StainsCleaning

Tide and Downey Used as a Prewash Stain Treatment Left Brown Stains

I ran out of pre-wash stain remover and used Tide plus a touch of Downy to rub into some stains on my son's cotton, white soccer t-shirt. Unfortunately I let it sit for a couple of hours before washing. When I took the shirt out of the wash it is a light brown color in the areas where I rubbed the Tide. Help!

By Steph from Bulverde, TX

Downey is a fabric softener and was probobly the cause of the stains. I doubt you can get it out now that it has been washed. Good luck!

If the shirt is white cotton, it could be bleached, but I would be worried about the lettering, which it likely has -- a number at least. I agree that Downy was likely the cause of the stain. You should not pour Downy directly on clothes. I have gotten grease-like stains from this myself. Try using a stain remover like Oxi-clean or Shout on the shirt. Treat it like a grease stain.