FurnitureCleaning

Deodorize a Musty Couch?

Category Furniture

I found a semi-old couch that my university that was going to thrown out. I snagged it before they could throw it in the dumpster. It is a really nice couch that I could really use, but it has a slight mildew and dusty smell to it.

It is cloth and possibly some microfiber. I need to clean the whole thing (Cushions, and back). What's the best and LEAST EXPENSIVE way to give this dusty old couch a good cleaning? I am a college student so cost is an issue. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Adam

sprinkle baking soda all over it........leave for a few days and then vacuum it up........if that doesnt work, try cat litter........both absorb odors..........susan

You could hire a steam cleaner. Or you could buy a bottle of upholstery cleaner and follow the directions. You might want to air it as much as possible by taking the cushions off and leaving the windows open as much as you can, that will help. Even one of those fabric sprays (fabfresh/febreeze) for removing smells may work because they have odor neutralisers in them. The mustyness is caused by damp, so you'll want to dry it out as much as possible afterwards.

use some febreeze on it.

We received a FREE couch today... woo hoo! It fits together with my current set perfectly. I'm so excited.

The problem I have is it has a musty odor from sitting in the previous owner's garage for a while. I rubbed it with a dryer sheet, but the odor came back.

It's cloth velour type stuff. (You know, you rub your hand across one way and it's dark, then you rub it the other way and it's a lighter color?) It's dark brown. I don't want to ruin the upholstery, but I will take some chances.

The solution doesn't need to be super frugal, just so it's not stinky anymore. Thanks so much for your help.

Michelle Darby, NJ

use an upholstery cleaner, or a rented carpet cleaner with attachments for furniture. Put straight white vinegar in the clean water tank. The vinegar odor wont last long. It's amasing. Then just for good measure, use fabric spray, like fresh care. Use fans to dry it. be generous with the vinegar, but make sure you suction most of it out.

ZeroOdorPet.com

I'm sure some people have couches with removable covers on their cushions and are tempted to hand or machine wash them. Is that wise or will getting them wet change their shape like with the car apholstery above? Thx. Dan P. J. - San Francisco, CA

joseph(underscore)twin1(at)yahoo(dot)com (please replace parentheses with correct symbols to reply - Thx!)

The best deodorizer of them all for sure is our lucky old sun! Yep, fair dinkum, it takes time but works every time.