AdviceBudget & Finance

US Postal Increase on January 22, 2012

On January 22, 2012, mailing services including periodicals, package services, and extra services will increase. Here is the short list of already decided increases. USPS will announce the other price increases some time in the next few weeks:

• 1 oz. letters will increase from 44 cents to 45 cents.
  • Postcards will increase from 29 cents to 32 cents.
  • 1 oz. letters to Canada or Mexico will increase from 80 cents to 85 cents.
  • Letters to other international destinations will increase from 98 cents to $1.05.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Thanks, Deeli. Readers are reminded that the "Forever" stamps are just that. If you anticipate heavy correspondence in 2012 (or even next year's Christmas cards) they might want to stock up. Cay from FL

Deeli,thanks for the heads up. I have to balance my budget,why can't they! Grrrr.

2 years ago I started donating to my local animal shelter in lieu of Christmas cards. : )
Keeper

It would seem it's time for USPS to look at a different business model. Change delivery to Mon-Fri only, etc... My local post office will be closing. It will be a pain for picking up packages but it's probably the right thing to do.

It's good to know ahead of time when these changes happen so I can plan accordingly; I often need to send packages and this way I can charge the right amount for s/h.

Cay and Keeper both have excellent ideas! (Keeper, you're a card, btw, lol!) I mostly use email and Facebook for my Christmas greetings, since that's something I can do without asking for help. I might mail a tiny handful of cards, but the rest get handed out at my church. The pastor's wife sets up a "temporary post office" for that purpose in the church lobby.

As for the "forever stamps," we intend to stock up before the end of this year. Thanks!