AntsPest Control

Using Vinegar to Get Rid of Ants

contest winner icon

I live in what used to be an orchard, so as the weather warms, I get ants coming in. My solution, the natural way, is to keep white vinegar in a spray bottle in the kitchen and in the bathroom. When I see ants, I spray to cover. I leave for a few minutes then go in and take a paper towel to wipe the counter; in the bathroom, they come in via the tub so after spraying I just use the shower head and rinse.

Since vinegar is an antibacterial, I get twice the benefit, it kills the ants and gets rid of odors at the same time (it may take a few times for the ants to get the message). Plus it's not toxic to the pets and humans living in the house.

By Dee Terry from Salem, OR

Top Comment

Hi Dee: Another Salemite!
I also post often that this is great for getting rid of gnats and fruit flies. You put some apple cider vinegar in a cup, with a few drops of dish washing liquid to break the surface adhesion. Then, you sit back and watch them dive in without being able to get out.

Vinegar is an amazing product! Great tip.

I also think vinegar is an amazing product but I'd never thought of using it for pest control. I will now!

For several years I have been using one cup of vinegar in my washer with every load. The colors come out so bright and no longer use bleach in my wash.

Can't wait to try it. Always get ants with the arrival of spring!

Talcom powder will also stop them. If they are coming in under the door or window, put down the talcom.

They will not cross it and you don't have to keep putting it down.