How ToSewing

Homemade Crib Bumper Pads

I have 2 pregnant nieces, and they both want bumper pads for a crib. Does anyone have directions to make a bumper pad? Please help, and FAST! Thank you!

Marie

I purchased everything I needed to make my Grandson's homemade bumper pads at Walmart. All you need is foam padding (it comes in a long roll in the material department) and about 3 yards of material. Roll out the foam flat and measure the lenght of the crib (less 1 inch on all ends) and measure the width (10 to 12 inches). You will need 4 pieces of foam (2 sides & 2 ends) Use a black marker to draw the measurements on the form before cutting. Measure 2 pieces of material with each piece of form you have cut out (add 1/2 inch to all sides & ends). Sew the 2 pieces together, leaving one end open to insert foam padding. Turn inside out. It will look like a long pillow case. Insert form into the open end. Close the opening by folding ends and sewing together. Making ties: Cut strips of material (1 inch wide & 12 inches in length). I used 4 ties to each bumper pad. Fold over and sew (leaving the ends open). Turn inside out. Tie a knot in each end of tie. Use a marker to mark on the finished bumper pad where you want each tie to be attatched.(I attached the ties to the top of the bumper pads) Fold the tie in half. Hand stitch the fold of the tie to the bumper pad. Do this to each area you have marked.Tie the knot ends around the crib rail.That's all. Your done.

Look here for more directions.

www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=CRIBSET

I did the same as abouve except made 4 separate "pillow" cases for each side, attached velcro at the ends so it wraps around the last "pole" on each side. It makes the pad sit tighter.

If you could figure out how to make THIS http://www.walm … oduct_id=8154351 bumper, it would be a lot safer and better. I had purchased a cute bumper at a yard sale for my granddaughters crib here at our house and she destroyed it. Pulled off all the ties and it became very dangerous. Then I saw THIS one and purchased it. I've never had to replace it and it's attached with Velcro. I think this would even be easier to hand make. It's actually two pieces. One piece goes around the three stable sides of the crib, and the other piece goes on the side that slides up and down. It's breathable and safer than those bulky dangerous ones that can tear or suffocate a baby.

Good luck!