AdviceCrafts

Glass Dust in Wine Bottles from Drilling

I am making wine bottle lights and when I drill the hole in the back it leaves a lot of dust in the bottle. I can't get all of the dust out. Any suggestions?

I tried rinsing it out with warm soapy water, but I cannot get it all out. Now it is in there like paste. I'm going to have to start over on another bottle.

Try a bottle brush that you use to clean baby bottles. They are meant to go into a small openings and are usually flexible enough to bend and get around the sides. Another way is to put uncooked rice into the container and shake it around with hot/warm water and it should help dislodge the residue and come out pretty easily.

I wonder if spraying the inside with non stick cooking spray would work. It would keep it from fusing to the glass so well, and rinse clean with some soapy water, and perhaps do the uncooked rice as a scour agent.

BTW would love to see the finished product!

By Joan (Guest Post)

Try using nozzle from an air hose before you add any liquid to the bottle.

By Geneva (Guest Post)

Try rinsing it with a bit of baking soda and a tablespoon of vinegar, (it will foam), then rinse out with water.

By Tami (Guest Post)

Add some salt to the water when rinsing, it provides a scrubbing action without being abrasive. Shake well, then rinse with just water.

Put some dry rice in the bottle and plug both top and bottom holes with your fingers or a towel. Shake, drain, and rinse. Be sure to drain into a sieve.

By Tina M (Guest Post)

Quite simple actually, put it in the dishwasher with white vinegar. Works great.

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)

It's possible that the heat from the drilling slightly melted the tiny particles of glass. Maybe pour boiling water into the bottle to make them slightly melt and separate from the bottom?