Watch Out for CD Maturity Dates

Make sure you check with whoever is holding your CD at maturity. If you do nothing, the financial institution could transfer your CD to a saving account rate, big loss of interest and still tie your money up for an extended period of time.

They almost got me on this one. The teller said "You snooze, you lose!". I cashed the CD in and I'm heading for the Credit Union.

By Bud from Bradenton, FL

Top Comment

Very good advice. They DID catch me last year, now I have to wait until 2009 to make a change.

Top Comment

My bank sends me a notice when my cd is due to expire and that the rate may change to a bit lower if I do not respond. So I wait till the day they indicate, walk the five blocks to the bank and in five minutes or less, have the better rate.

LI Roe

By Sharon (Guest Post)

I have never had a CD, where the bank didn't notify me, when it was coming due...