Removing Dried Urine Around the Toilet Bowl

I have dried urine around the toilet bowl, how can I remove it? I have scraped with a knife, but can't kneel long enough to scrape it all off. What can I use?

By nanny from LA

Can't you put some water or cleaner of some kind on it to soak it loose, and then mop it up? However if there is caulking around the toilet, and the uring is on the caulking, you might have to scrape the old caulking off and put new down.

I have had this problem when I cared for a hoarder. I used Watkins but you have to wear gloves and safety gear for your face seriously! It's hydrocloric acid and you can damage your skin, eyes and throat by breathing in or touching too much.
Then, use a wire brush if you still have to.

I would use rags or even paper towels soaked in vinegar. Keep spraying the cloth to keep it wet and wait a bit -- all should just wipe up then. Good luck!

Anonymous

I doubt very much these are urine stains since you've already tried scraping them. It's more than likely that what you're trying to clean are permanent moisture stains that have seeped from below the linoleum. It's caused from even slight moisture that comes from the glue used to lay the linoleum and the backing itself. Sometimes these stains look like grayish dirt stains too.

Unless the linoleum is a couple of decades old or more if it doesn't come up from cleaning on the surface fairly easily then it is definitely the underlying seep stain coming to the surface and all you can do is live with it or replace it. This happens often and when it does happen it's almost always around the toilet and tub areas where the underlying moisture is coming from. I mention this because of past and current experience. No amount of scrubbing is going to remove linoleum moisture stains.

I agree with the other posts, if it's gotten into the caulking, you might have to replace the caulking. But urine is water soluable and should come off with soap and water. It can actually be sold on the internet. If it doesn't come up, then I don't think it's urine.