Removing Dried Urine in the Bathroom

Category Bathroom
Unfortunately urine does not always end up in the toilet bowl where it belongs. This is a guide about removing dried urine in the bathroom.

How do I get “crusted” urine off linoleum? I have been wiping it up every day or it seems that way. But there is a build up on my floor and on the front top of the toilet rim. Granted I don't have to look at it when I pee, but it's gross and I want it off.

By Raven from Sussex, WI

Answers

Best Answer

Soak a rag or paper towel in white vinegar, and let sit on the crusted areas over night if possible. Re-wet if necessary. Then scrub well. Repeat if needed. This removes hard water mineral encrustations in my bathroom, and the crusted urine is largely uric acid crystals. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Hi there. A 5 gallon pail made with 2 cups vinegar (any kind will work, but the white kind leaves less of a vinegar smell) to 3 or 4 gallons of water will give you a cleaning agent 2nd to none. I have always used pine-sol for cleaning, but it doesn't do justice to the crusty urine stains. The vinegar and water, left on the spot for about 10 minutes will help your mop suck it right up and rinse away in the tub. Then, of course, clean the tub!

Best Answer

If the other suggestions don't get it of completely, I might try to use a Magic Eraser. I buy the store brand, which work just as well as the major brand. I cut them down to smaller pieces, and throw them away after really gross jobs, but they are also really good for getting tea stains out of mugs and the like. Good luck!

I have dried urine around the toilet bowl, how can I remove it? I have scraped with a knife, but can't kneel long enough to scrape it all off. What can I use?

By nanny from LA

Answers

Can't you put some water or cleaner of some kind on it to soak it loose, and then mop it up? However if there is caulking around the toilet, and the uring is on the caulking, you might have to scrape the old caulking off and put new down.

I have had this problem when I cared for a hoarder. I used Watkins but you have to wear gloves and safety gear for your face seriously! It's hydrocloric acid and you can damage your skin, eyes and throat by breathing in or touching too much.
Then, use a wire brush if you still have to.

I would use rags or even paper towels soaked in vinegar. Keep spraying the cloth to keep it wet and wait a bit -- all should just wipe up then. Good luck!

Anonymous

I doubt very much these are urine stains since you've already tried scraping them. It's more than likely that what you're trying to clean are permanent moisture stains that have seeped from below the linoleum. It's caused from even slight moisture that comes from the glue used to lay the linoleum and the backing itself. Sometimes these stains look like grayish dirt stains too.

Unless the linoleum is a couple of decades old or more if it doesn't come up from cleaning on the surface fairly easily then it is definitely the underlying seep stain coming to the surface and all you can do is live with it or replace it. This happens often and when it does happen it's almost always around the toilet and tub areas where the underlying moisture is coming from. I mention this because of past and current experience. No amount of scrubbing is going to remove linoleum moisture stains.

I agree with the other posts, if it's gotten into the caulking, you might have to replace the caulking. But urine is water soluable and should come off with soap and water. It can actually be sold on the internet. If it doesn't come up, then I don't think it's urine.

Okay my two boys and my bigger boy obviously don't know how to go to the bathroom in the toilet. I've cleaned the toilet over and over again and around the toilet and on the tile, but now I see that urine is behind the toilet on the wall near the baseboard. I can see that the baseboard has gotten warped. I know I'm going to have to take the baseboard off and put a new one on but my question to you is how do I clean the wall/baseboard area before I put a new baseboard on? I was thinking of using straight bleach on that whole area and let it soak into the wall for a day or two or something?

Answers

Anonymous

I just read this entire thread, and I've got to share this: I wish I had known during my first marriage what I learned from my second husband. He is absolutely immaculate and leaves absolutely no residue behind. His mother taught him that before he flushes he must clean up any spray or misses by using toilet tissue to wipe the rim of the bowl, or anything else. It's a habit that serves him well. Never is there any residue where it's not supposed to be. Every boy needs to be held responsible to leave no tracks behind. If you are tall and 'spray', then just sit down. Why should the wives and mothers be the ones who clean up after carelessness and bad habits? Or... can someone invent something that is better engineered for the male anatomy's convenience?

My husband worked for a company whose offices were in a former home. The company was owned by men. One day they had a meeting with the men and told that toilets were designed for sitting and urinals for standing. Since there were no urinals, the men were expected to sit.

I enjoy entertaining but I hate the idea that men drip and dribble or just plan miss, spreading urine about my home. Toilets are not meant for standing, despite the customs of the western world. There are designed for sitting, that's why they have a seat. The seat lifts up to make it easier to clean. It is not so men can spray it with urine.

Anonymous

My husband pees into an old plastic quart jar. Then he pours it out in the yard, or into the toilet. Then he rinses the jar. Eventually the jar gets ugly and he recycles it. Works fine!

Hate to tell everyone this, but I bought a ultraviolet flashlight for illuminating scorpions. (they light up bright green under the light), while looking for them in the bathroom I saw to my horror what I thought was an immaculate commode and area was full of splatter. (black light also lights up dried urine). If you want to see what a mess you have (even with a careful husband who wipes up after his use) try this flashlight. Look up "scorpion flashlight" in Google. Mine cost me $12 on Amazon. Be prepared for a shock at what lurks in your bathroom! At least you will be able to see where you need to scrub. Hint: think 3-4 feet up all the way from the baseboard. You won't believe what you see. Happy cleaning!

How do I remove urine stains from a plastic toilet seat? I have tried everything, even steam cleaning.

By Jo

Answers

I would just buy a new one, they're pretty cheap.

Just get a new seat. They aren't expensive. If your stains are caused by medicine given for kidney infection the stains will never come out.

Try a magic eraser.