SceneryPhotos

Wildlife: Pelicans (Kure Beach, NC)

This pelican was perched on the railing of the pier at Kure Beach. There were four or five pelicans that day, but this one was really close to us.

By pm813@hotmail.com

I love pelicans, and when I was a very young little girl, I thought they were storks that delivered the babies. I was a kid back in the late 30's and early 40's, and people didn't talk about where babies "came from" the way they do today. Babies were either "found in the cabbage patch", or were "brought by a stork". The first time I saw a pelican, he had his whole "beak" filled with fish, so the underneath part hung down like a sack. In my childish mind, that bird was a stork on the way to deliver a baby.

Later, when I saw my first real stork, it had much longer legs, so I was totally confused. I must have been at least 7-8 years old before I got it all straightened out, but I still thought the stork brought the babies. He just didn't carry them in his mouth, but in a type of "sling blanket".

I kinda wish kids didn't grow up so fast today.

Nice picture PM813. Thank you for sharing.

Pookarina

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This guy certainly is a very fine bird like in the nonsense poem.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Just to think, a few years back, the fishermen in Ca. were catching them and cutting off their beaks because they were feeding on the fish.. Humans are so cruel. Thanks for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes