AdviceGardening

What Is A Water Pick?

What is a water pick? I don't know if we have them in the UK.

Lesley from London, England

By Michelle (Guest Post)

It's a countertop device with a handle the size of a toothbrush. It shoots water along the gumline to eject any pieces of food as well as bacteria. People with gum disease (like me) are often instructed to use them with care. You don't want force particles further down into the gums. You can google it to see a picture, I'm sure.

By Harry (Guest Post)

Go to www.waterpik.com to info on waterpik. Waterpik is the name of the company than makes these dental cleaning tools. They run on electricity so I would investigate to see if they would work on your English electric system.

You can get this info by contacting the waterpik company through an e-mail.

By Harry. (Guest Post)

The name of the company is waterpik. You can go to their web page at waterpik.com to see what they look like and order. As you are in England and waterpik is an American company you are aware of the difference in the electric systems. You may need an adapter to use in England. You can contact the company thru their web page.

My mother in Norway got hers from the website, and they have the funny round outlets to plug into there, is that what you have? I'm a registered dental hygienist who worked 12 years in a periodontal specialty office with diseased patients. I recommended it constantly because it cleans better than floss, yet is far easier to use. I suggest setting it on a gentle pulse at first so it feels good, then after two weeks of daily use you can bump up the pressure if you want.

There are versions for use in the shower, but I found that not convenient because the countertop unit holds more water. The key to using it without splashing at all is simple: seal your lips shut around the tip and bend down into the sink with it. Let the water dribble out into the sink as you cruise around your teeth, left to right, outside and in. Never a messy mirror that way. Good luck - you'll be glad you bought it, it's less expensive than the power toothbrushes and much more valuable.