Cleaning a Charcoal BBQ Grill

Category BBQ and Grill
Nothing says summer better than a good ol' BBQ! Cleaning your charcoal grill is a necessary yet tedious task. Keeping your grill clean will extend it's life. This is a guide about cleaning a charcoal grill.

After my charcoal grill top has cooled from grilling, I spray it down with oven cleaner and place inside a garbage bag and tie shut. I let it sit over night. When I remove it, I give it a quick and easy scrubbing with dish detergent and water. It cleans up so nice and easy!

Rinse well, let dry, then spray it down with cooking spray and place it back on the grill. The cooking spray also prevents rusting in humid conditions. Now I can enjoy my cookouts without the hassle of clean up!

By Patty from East Peoria, IL

Clean the grill by spraying white vinegar over wadded up tin foil and scrubbing with it.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Could someone please help me find a way to clean off the grilled-on grease that coats the inside of my propane barbecue grill? I believe the body is aluminum. Currently, I am using a strong solution of Boraxo and washing soda. This cuts the grime, but I'm having to baby it along and it takes quite a while.

At least, this mixture does not bother the paint. Is there a cleaning product or recipe that you have used and it came out the way you liked? Please let us know. Thank you.

By Jane from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Have you tried oven cleaner? I would heat the grill slightly and then spray it and let it sit overnight. The inside of your grill is painted? Well if it was me, I wouldn't let that stop me. After all, it's an outdoor grill. The important thing is to get rid of some of the grease to avoid it catching fire. Just be careful not to get it on the outside. (05/24/2009)

By Mary

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Do you want to just clean the grill? have done this, can't remember whether or not it worked well, I think it did.

You put the grill in a trash bag you can tie up and seal, pour some ammonia in on top of it and close. Let it sit over night. The fumes cut the grease. For the inside, I'd do what the other person said, oven cleaner. Use the regular kind. I hate the organic stuff or fume free. It doesn't work at all. Most of the good ones have a formula featuring sodium hydroxide, which is the main ingredient in drain cleaner. If you want to try it, I wouldn't use drano. It has some metal pieces in it, not necessary. The stuff breaks down grease well. (05/28/2009)

By christine M. Thayer

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Thanks for your ideas. I will go at it again today. Will try the oven cleaner. Well, I can't wait to get that grill going.

I believe that had I lightly scrubbed the grill per week or so with a weaker boraxo and washing soda solution, it wouldn't have built up to this point at all! Thanks! (05/29/2009)

By Jane

Tips for cleaning a Barbeque grill. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Hate To Clean That Expensive Gas BBQ Grill?

Take the grates off and run in the dishwasher on hot wash and dry, remove as soon as the dishwasher is done. They will still be hot, use a pot holder to remove. There will still be some stuck on drippings, minus the grease. Proceed to finish the cleaning in your sink. You'd be amazed on how easy they will be to clean.

By Jackie (07/20/2005)

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

I have a Weber charcoal grill. When I start a new cooking session, the flames will "burn" any stuck on particles and then I scrub with a "grill brush".

Just like new.

Jennifer from Northern VA (07/20/2005)

By Jennifer Nelson

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Have dirty grates?

Take them and place inside a newspaper section, wet with water and fold the remaining paper on top of the grates and leave over night. The moisture loosens the grime and makes it really easy to clean. (07/21/2005)

By Rich

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

I have a self cleaning oven. I put my grills in it when i clean my oven. (07/21/2005)

By Helen L Stephens

RE: Cleaning a BBQ Grill