Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Could someone please help me find a way to clean off the grilled-on grease that coats the inside of my propane barbecue grill? I believe the body is aluminum. Currently, I am using a strong solution of Boraxo and washing soda. This cuts the grime, but I'm having to baby it along and it takes quite a while.

At least, this mixture does not bother the paint. Is there a cleaning product or recipe that you have used and it came out the way you liked? Please let us know. Thank you.

By extremefrugalist from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Have you tried oven cleaner? I would heat the grill slightly and then spray it and let it sit overnight. The inside of your grill is painted? Well if it was me, I wouldn't let that stop me. After all, it's an outdoor grill. The important thing is to get rid of some of the grease to avoid it catching fire. Just be careful not to get it on the outside. (05/24/2009)

By Mary T

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Do you want to just clean the grill? have done this, can't remember whether or not it worked well, I think it did. You put the grill in a trash bag you can tie up and seal, pour some ammonia in on top of it and close. Let it sit over night. The fumes cut the grease. For the inside, I'd do what the other person said, oven cleaner. Use the regular kind. I hate the organic stuff or fume free. It doesn't work at all. Most of the good ones have a formula featuring sodium hydroxide, which is the main ingredient in drain cleaner. If you want to try it, I wouldn't use drano. It has some metal pieces in it, not necessary. The stuff breaks down grease well. (05/28/2009)

By c t

Cleaning a BBQ Grill

Thanks for your ideas. I will go at it again today. Will try the oven cleaner. Well, I can't wait to get that grill going.

I believe that had I lightly scrubbed the grill per week or so with a weaker boraxo and washing soda solution, it wouldn't have built up to this point at all! Thanks! (05/29/2009)

By ExtremeFrugalist